Sunday, June 29, 2014

De colores.... a fun find at a thrift store

Yesterday I took my daughter thrift store browsing because she was looking for containers for her room.  The very first thing she saw was this:

picture by Char
The first thing I thought of was "de colores" and I held on to that little guy the entire time we walked through Dwight's Swap Shop.  Note:  We had been to Dwight's Swap Shop before, but this time we walked through every room, nook, and cranny.  Wow!  We found all sorts of fun and cool things!
 
This colorful worm is a TY beanie baby.  Though it is an inchworm and not a caterpillar (no legs), it still works for me as an Emmaus/Chrysalis symbol.  And, inchworms do transform too, just not into butterflies.  They transform into moths.  But the symbolism of transformation and metamorphosis works just as well.
 
My daughter did some research on the computer to learn more about this little guy.  She found out that it was created in 1995 (September 3) and is now retired.  Its name is "Inch". 
 
I imagine this little guy is going to have all sorts of adventures with us.  He has already been taken out of my closet, been photographed by my daughter, and put back to rest in my closet.  I know he will be going with me on a Chrysalis weekend coming up in August/September and I believe he will be going with me in August to preach at New Salem UMC. 
 
I don't know how long this little guy will remain in my possession.  My daughter has already called "dibs" for when I'm done with him.  Even though she found (and bought) him for me, I think it's clear that Inch is on loan to me.  He already has another name.  I named him "de colores".  She named him "Professor Worm".
 
We know who will likely end up with the inchworm in the long run.
 
Blessings on your journey,
 
Debra
 
P.S.  In case you'd like to listen to and/or sing the De Colores song, here it is by Joan Baez:
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment