Thursday, June 12, 2014

MercyMe "Word of God Speak" resonated within my spirit this afternoon

Today was a travel day to Wilmore, KY.  Another 5 hour drive north to the seminary campus for an intensive weekend course.  I didn't sleep well last night and I hung around the house until about 11am this morning, spending some time with my husband on his day off.  I really didn't want to be in the car for 5 hours.

But I was.  I spent quite a bit of that time in silence, except for the noise I couldn't stop inside my brain.  I did listen to some radio-- from country, to the oldies, to a couple of different Christian radio stations.  The silence was beautiful.   I was able to think, to pray, to enjoy the countryside. 

I don't remember many of the songs I heard today (though "We Will Rock You" by Queen just popped back to my mind), but a song that I heard as I turned the radio back on as I got on highway 27 north this afternoon resonated within my spirit.

I haven't heard it in a while.  The words that captured my attention: "Word of God, speak.... pour down like rain...  to be still and know..."  Ah, yes!  In a way, this song encapsulated my entire commute for the day and spoke the desire of my heart.  I want God's Word to speak to me.  I want to be still and know.  There are other words in the song that caught my attention too.  It touched my spirit to the point that I felt like if I had allowed myself to be fully in the moment, I would have been in tears.  But, they passed quickly.  It was as if a heart and soul moment went back into the head.  I still felt it, but it wasn't an "overflow". 

I had to look up who sang this song because I missed that part.  It was Mercy Me.  (I was listening to K-LOVE, 95.3 and the song was on about 3:30pm).  The song came out in 2002 and was released from the Spoken For album.


I was at a loss for words today.  And it was and is okay.  Maybe that is why the song resonated so much with me when I heard it.... because I had spent quite a bit of time in silence, communicating without words.  I don't know.  The words:
  • be still and know
  • stay and rest
  • finding myself in the midst of You
  • in the quiet
etc. are words that stood out to me as I was glued to the radio station (as the saying goes).  They not only resonated within my spirit, but hit the very chord of my heart's longing and cry. 

These lyrics touched my spirit today.  Check them out on this K-LOVE page. 

Kutless also sings the song.  In fact, I don't know which I heard on the radio today, since I didn't hear them say who it was, though the version sounded more like MercyMe.  I could go to the K-LOVE website and figure it out, but.....


Big Daddy Weave also covered this song.

Learn more about the song:

Wikipedia

Story Behind the Song (video interview)

As I turn into bed now for a good night's rest (about an hour after I said I would originally), I have these lyrics ringing through my mind.... what a good focus as I drift off to sleep.

Lyrics: (written by Bart Millard and Peter Kipley)

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

CHORUS:
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness

Word of God speak

I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice

REPEAT CHORUS 2X

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay


Blessings on your journey,

Debra





No comments:

Post a Comment