Tuesday, June 17, 2014

2 Wheels Again!!

Motorcycle in shop 4/22/13
Motorcycle in shop 8/23/13



Motorcycle ready for pick up 6/16/14
 
At gas station
 
I got the call last week from Chattanooga State that my motorcycle was ready!  AWESOME!  But, it was a rainy day.  And, I was leaving Thursday morning for KY for an intensive weekend of CH 501 (Church History).  I knew I wouldn't be getting my bike just yet.  More waiting.  In the big picture, what was a few more days when I had been already waiting for over a year?!?!  That's right.  A year and about 2 months.
I took my bike to the students to get worked on at Chattanooga State.  It's a great deal.  They work on your bike and learn about it.  You pay only for the parts.  Well, my bike is an older bike.  Or, let's say "vintage".  It's a 1981 Yamaha 750 Maxim.  Because I hadn't been able to ride it due to my frozen shoulders, it sat under the carport for about 2 years without being ridden.

If you go back to a post I wrote on 8/28/12, "On Two Wheels again tonight!", you will see the joy in riding after my frozen shoulders.  Then, when I got back on the bike again in October, she leaked gas like a race horse and that's when I started looking into getting her into Chattanooga State.  It took until Spring to find a connection.

I had three different mechanics working on my bike, plus the instructors.  Ed told me when I picked it up the other day that my bike was problematic.  I heard that as 'what a great learning opportunity' for the students.  I learned lots about ordering parts and getting parts made here in town.  Maybe I'll even write about that one day.

But for now, here is how it felt yesterday when I got on my bike and left that parking lot:  AWESOME!  To be on two wheels again felt INCREDIBLE, WONDERFUL.  I was excited!  I was also a little nervous.  Add it up and I haven't ridden much over the past several years.  But, with the security that my bike is in tip-top shape, I was able to not be too nervous.

As I rode up the ramp and onto  Dupont Highway to head home, I let out a "yahoo!"  It echoed inside my helmet, but I doubt anyone else heard me.  Nor do I think they could see the ear to ear smile on my face.

It felt natural, you know... like riding a bike. ☺

I am grateful to my Dad for the motorcycle rides he took me on growing up as a kid, for the Enduro races held at his Trails Inn campground in the 70s that he and my uncles rode in, and for the opportunity to ride a little tiny Honda fat dirt bike around the farm property. 

I am grateful to my first husband for buying that Suzuki 650 on Long Island and bringing it back down south when we moved to TN.  I got my learner's permit in NY and rode that bike in NY and in TN until I sold it when I was pregnant. 

I am grateful to my current husband for his support of my interest in riding, though he did tease me quite a bit that he was paying Chattanooga State to keep my bike there as long as possible.  He often helped me acquire parts and made trips to the campus with me to deliver them.  Yesterday he took me to campus and took pictures of me getting my bike back and taking off. 

I am grateful to Chattanooga State for working on my bike and getting her in running condition!

As I rode her home, I stopped for some 100% gas.  After I had filled up, I noticed the repair tag was still on the rack on the back of the bike.  I took it off.  About that time, my husband drove up and asked how it was going.  It was neat to know he was near and cared enough to stop by.

I was a little nervous pulling out into traffic onto Hixson Pike from that gas station.  Gauging traffic on two wheels isn't something I'm used to.  I probably should have given that van a little more space before pulling out behind him.  Sorry dude.

Then, I was nervous about riding on the grated pavement.  I had avoided it last summer when I rode by going back roads around the neighborhood.  Because the grated road goes up and down a hill, I have been hesitant to ride it on two wheels.  But I took the challenge head on yesterday and did it.  It was a tad shaky and I won't say that I enjoy riding on that uneven pavement and feeling like I'm wobbling around, but it's doable and I did it.

My grin was still ear to ear when I got home.  Riding my motorcycle and feeling the wind while I ride is one of those spiritual connections for me.  It's not quite the same as my quiet times or getting into the woods, but it is definitely one of my Creator God connection times.  Maybe it's the wind connection. Or the silence.  Or the solitude.  Or a combination of all of those.  I don't know.  It just is.

What are your Creator God connection times and ways?  How do you live into taking and making time for that relationship?

Thanks for allowing me to share one of mine with you.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra





P.S.  I did notice a slight drop of gas on the fuel gauge when I turned it from reserve to on at the gas station and again when I got home.  This is something to watch, but hopefully it won't need to go back in the shop for a while. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment