Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On two wheels again tonight!

Taken tonight, 8/28/2012 after my ride. dd

Taken in 2007. dd.

Oh the joy, the freedom, the exhilaration!  Along with the nervousness and anxiety and anticipation!

After two years of not riding my bike due to my frozen shoulders (adhesive capsulitis), I was able to take my bike for a spin this evening. 

For Christmas (2011), I got a new battery from my husband so I could get the old girl running again.  She had been sitting idle too long and the battery was dead.  If I had thought about it, I would have kept her on a trickle battery or at least started her up every now and then.  But, my frozen shoulders (and then an ankle injury in the midst of it, along with anemia) took my thoughts.

I have felt ready for a while now (thus the battery at Christmas after having begged for it!).  But, it has taken a while to get it in.  My dear husband was kind enough to put it in for me today after I had attempted.  I think it's time for me to take a mechanic class so I can learn more about my bike! 

It took a while to get her into neutral, much less started.  But, she cranked and roared, after sputtering some.  There was black smoke spewing. 

I found my helmet... at least I think it's mine.. it could have been Charlotte's.  They are very similar.  I found the 2013 sticker for the bike.  I put on jeans and my riding boots. 

I took her for one spin around the cul-de-sac.  She felt good.  Then, I headed out of the neighborhood.  I took a right at the end of our road because I'm not ready for the wobbly pavement that is permanently on a nearby road now.  The front tire felt a tad shaky here and there.  But, I know from the last time I had it looked at that a front tire was a needed item in the near future.  She has a brand new back tire. 

She could probably use a tune-up and a cleaning.  It's an older bike.  An '81.  It's rusty.  It has scratches from myself and previous owners.  It's a Yamaha 750. 

I used to ride it back and forth to UTC when I taught Spanish there.  I have ridden it quite a bit, but not recently.  I have missed the freedom of riding on two wheels and the cheaper gas.

Riding my motorcycle is another one of those spiritual adventures for me.  It's a time for me to be out in God's creation and to enjoy some silence and solitude.  I feel, see, and hear the wind and the road. 

I'm looking forward to spending some more time on my bike!   I'm just happy to have it running again and to have accomplished my first ride again.

Blessings on your journey!  May there be wind in your wings!

~Debra

3 comments:

  1. enjoying silence on a motorcycle...hmm... i have to admit that i'm a bit skeptical. but it does sound like FUN on a motorcycle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bex, I can understand your skepticism. Remember that where I'm riding there are country roads with no (or little)traffic at times. There are trees lining the roads almost everywhere. There is always the road and cycle noise, but that doesn't break into the silence. When I'm in traffic and/or on a busy road heading into the city, it's a different picture.. but that is also a different ride. That's normally a commute. ☺ I imagine riding where you are would be a totally different adventure. I have a friend who rides two wheels in Benin, Togo area where she lives. I'm not so sure it's as much of a silence and solitude opportunity there.

    ReplyDelete