Sunday, August 26, 2012

"Can You Drink the Cup" Week 2-- Lifting the Cup

Today's sermon at Burks UMC, Lifting the Cup, was the second in the three week series entitled "Can You Drink the Cup?"  Last week Rev. Amy Nutt started the series with Holding the Cup.  She shared her calling to ministry and testimony and used a very special visual: a chalice given to her when she became a licensed local pastor at her previous church.

Last week's Scripture focus was Matthew 20:20-23.  Amy mentioned a book by Henri Nouwen that someone gave her recently, Can You Drink the Cup? The image on the screen was one of a wine glass with red wine in it.  I found the book in its entirety online as a PDF.  However, even though I downloaded it, I cannot find the original source to grab the url.  Oh, well.  The book itself can be found at a variety of sellers and with a couple of different covers.  Personally, the wine glass with red wine in it is the one I was hoping to find, but haven't found that as a copy to buy as of yet. 



Some of last week's highlights were:
  • Wil Martin singing "Fill My Cup"
  • a table set with Amy's cup and some candles

  • three points from the sermon:
    • the question: Can I drink the cup of Jesus? (Matthew 20:22)
    • the challenge: To stay alert and drink from the cup. (Matthew 26:43)
    • the strength: We will be provided strength to hold the cup. (Luke 22:43)
  • a point made during the sermon about the "gentle force of grace".  Great statement.
This week's Scripture was Mark 10:35-45.  Amy reviewed last week, setting the scene for today.  Wil sang "Fill My Cup" once again, a wonderful way to bring us into a focused and centered presence.  The table was set with the cup and candles once again.  There was also a bowl on the table that held water in it.  In the second service, there was a super cool backdrop set in addition.  For me, it added to the worship experience.  I learned that Wil is responsible for that.  Kudos!


In the first service, Amy talked about the baptismal vows and mentioned the baptism in the 2nd service.  In the 2nd service, because of having the baptism during the service, talking about remembering our baptism as strength for the journey was more concrete.  At the end of the service, Amy went to the bowl on the table and touched it and mentioned if anyone wanted to remember their baptism, they could do so.  That came and went for me.  But, I saw Pastor Rowland heading up, and another person.  The next thing I knew was that my feet were propelling me down the balcony steps toward the water bowl to dip by fingers and make the cross on my forehead, remembering my baptism.  As Amy mentioned, the watermark of baptism is a mark that doesn't go away.  Once baptized, it is done.  Remembering can be done again and again... as a way of praising God and as a way of being open to God.  I knelt at the altar as the song continued and praised God for a few minutes.  I steadied myself as I got up, and headed back up the balcony to my seat.  I hadn't planned to do that, it just happened.  Things tend to "just happen" in that second service.  There is a flowing of worship and spirit that is incredible.  Not just now, but even before. 

From today's notes: Lifting the Cup is offering a blessing and giving witness to:
  • a new covenant
  • a new communion
  • a new community

Next week the focus will be on Drinking the Cup.  The community will be sharing in communion together.  After you've held the cup, and lifted the cup, what better way to end than to drink from the cup together!! 

Unfortunately, I won't be there next week to see and hear the sermon in person.  However, I will be enjoying some much needed recreation and relaxation with my best friend/spouse.  In the spirit of community, we too will drink from the cup in celebration and offer a blessing for our community of faith.

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment