Thursday, August 30, 2012

Red Sea Rule #2--Be more concerned for God's glory than for your relief.

Last night's Bible Study for the Red Sea Rules focused on Red Sea Rule #2: Be more concerned for God's glory than for your relief.

Before we got to the discussion of the material however, there was the time of praise and worship and prayer.  Last night's singing was a hymn, led by Tim Lemacks.  He also sang a Casting Crowns song: "Praise You in This  Storm". 

There are quite a few versions of this song on YouTube... some with lyrics, some without.  Some with physical storms and others with images of the storms of life.  There were even several dedicated to the military, thanking them for serving through the storm and giving them encouragement.  One was even produced and posted by a military person serving in Iraq.  It was hard to choose which of these versions was the one to represent the blog post.  I watched at least 8 versions and gave up for the time being.  But what had happened was that the words had sunken in much deeper into me, especially the reminder that God is with me in the storm.  I decided on a version that is an animation version of death and loss and letting go through this process.  This is one of the places I've been recently.  Though the others were powerful, this is the one that resonates with me today as I write.  Animation version of Praise You in This Storm.  The Animation Version on YouTube.

Lyrics:
I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus:]
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

But as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

[Chorus]

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

[Chorus x2]
Rev. Amy Nutt asked this question after Tim Lemacks sang the song: "Can we praise God in the midst of a storm?"  Something to stop and think about for a moment.

Then she went on to talk about that we were in the midst of a storm going on around us.  We live in Tennessee, so it's not literally around us.  However, folks from TN and surrounding areas had been called to go there as first responders.  Rev. Amy Nutt shared an email from a family whose son was one such first responder.  We were going to have prayer time for the family as Amy called the family up front.  Then, out of the blue, she looked at me and asked (or told me... I don't quite remember) if she could put me on the spot and ask me to come up and pray for the family member who was a first responder as the family stood in for him.  I said "yes, Ma'am" and hopped up there.  After asking the family to kneel at the altar rail, I prayed.  I honestly couldn't tell you exactly the words I prayed because I don't remember.  But I prayed.  It has been a couple of years since I've prayed in front of the congregation.  Several years ago I was able to pray the pastoral prayer on a regular rotating basis.  It was during a time that I had taken a leading worship Lay Speaking course by Dan Benedict online through BeADisciple.com and was able to get some practical hands-on experience.

Anyway, that was an unexpected way to serve--but it was a blessing.  I had one person ask me afterwards if that had been planned... if Amy had asked me prior, if I knew and was prepared.  I said no... it wasn't.  He was surprised.  Not as much as I had been.  But, when we are available to the flowing of the Holy Spirit, things like that can happen.

After praying for this first responder and others, we prayed for the families in the path of the storm.... by a volunteer prayer.  Then, there was a time for prayer for healing for those that wanted it.

Then we had corporate prayer time and started the study.

We also took time to recognize the physical storm that is near by watching a news clip from WNN, World News Now.  It was appropriate to recognize the storm that many are going through.  Thinking about how it is seven years to the week that Katrina came through and how our area was used by many as shelter and relocation was sobering.  Storms of life are life-changing.... whether they are physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, weather...

What storm (or storms) are you going through right now?  Are you able to praise God in the storm?  Are you able to hang on?  Are you able to keep on keeping to make it to the other side? 

What is your bridge to help you make it to the other side?  When you feel the panic and the fear, what helps you move to praise and faith?  Pastor Amy posed the question last night, "what is your bridge?"  As I thought about it, my bridge consists of prayer, peace, worship (praise), and community.  There may be other things... but this is what came to mind last night as I reflected. 

Last night's study was timely. I had spoken earlier in the afternoon with someone going through their own storm, and I can think of at least another handful (if not two) of others and their storms.  As I think of each of these and pray for them, I envision them finding peace in their storm... being able to move from fear to faith and from panic to praise... growing through the difficult time of testing and trial.

Pastor Amy brought up an interesting thought during the study... what if we had radars like the weather radars that could track the storms of our life?  Storms are going to take place in our lives.  Can you imagine knowing that they are coming and what they are?  Honestly, I'd rather not know.  I can accept that they will come.  But, if I knew in advance a certain storm was coming, I might go hunker down somewhere and not come out.  My faith and trust might actually be lessened because I might think there would be no way I could survive that particular storm.  Having lived through some storms, I would rather simply attempt to walk by faith, in trust and obedience, relying on God and community to get me through it.

And, as for rule #2.... when I fully surrendered a certain situation to God, and said that the situation was to be for God's glory and that I would trust myself into God's hands, then my "relief" was no longer an issue.  And, lo and behold... God took care of my job situation, housing, and even walked with me as a single parent.  I learned more about grace and forgiveness through that storm than any other. 

I hope to continue to remember to live more for God's glory as other storms approach.

A question to ask ourselves as we face difficult situations: "How can God be glorified in the situation I'm facing?" (p. 27, The Red Sea Rules)

May you find strength for the journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment