Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wait with me for a while... what a great invitation!

As I opened Jesus Calling yesterday morning to read for the day's reading [August 21], these words were my invitation: "Wait with Me for a while."  I continued to read: "I have much to tell you.  You are walking along the path I have chosen for you."  I stopped there.  That last sentence was affirmation and encouragement to me.  Not that I clearly see the path nor that I know where the path is leading me... BUT, to know that I am on the path... well, that is a good thing. 

Why do I take these words as affirmation and encouragement?  In part due to Monday's adventure (interview) and outcome and all that has led up to this time.  Being on the journey of ordination is something that has been long in the making and something that I have wrestled with for many years.  At my 5 day Academy in October 2010, I was given a word that I was supposed to stop messing around and do what God has called me to do.  With much reflection and praying, I re-enrolled into seminary for the M.Div. at that point, but I didn't start the ordination process until August 2011. 

There are other reasons I find these words encouraging and affirming.  One being that after discerning recently I stepped out in faith, trust, and obedience and went way out of my comfort zone and wrote someone a letter about a house that keeps calling out to me as I drive by it on a major local road.  I see meetings and bible studies in this house, with hispanics and others.  I see women coming in to prepare their chocolate candies to sell for their small business and others making casseroles or other foods.  I see music groups gathered, and knitters and beaders, and I see worship happening in this place.  I don't know what will come of my letter or this house.  I feel like I did what I was called to do however, that I walked the path that was mine.

Probably the biggest reason that I find these words encouraging and affirming is that they remind me that I'm in relationship, getting to know my Creator. 

The devotional ends with these words: "Stay on the path of Life with Me.  Trust me wholeheartedly, letting my Spirit fill you with Joy and Peace."  The path is one of adventure.  And even though I don't see where it is leading, I am enjoying the relationship on the journey.  Make that relationships.... loving God and loving others.  That's what it boils down to for me.  Loving God and loving others.  This is the path I'm on.

May there be adventure as well as joy and peace along your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment