Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Red Sea Rules by Robert Morgan

Last night Rev. Amy Nutt kicked off a new Bible Study at Burks UMC based on the book The Red Sea Rules: The Same God Who Led You in Will Lead You Out by Robert J. Morgan. 


I am glad that she is leading this study because now I have a more valid excuse to buy and read the book!  Several weeks ago this book came up in conversation between us and I added it to my reading wish list, but didn't think I would be getting to it any time soon.  Not only will I be reading it, but I was able to get it at a discount AND I will be focusing on it for the next 11 weeks (with a week in there for time off due to local school fall break).

Last night was an introduction and overview.  In addition to some introductory comments, we got to watch some video clips.  One was a background teaching on the book of Exodus by a muppet known as "the Sunday School teacher" from jellytelly.com.   You can watch the video clip for yourself by clicking on this link: Exodus by jellytelly.  If you start at ll.14, that's where we started last night.

The other video clip was from Prince of Egypt when they get to the Red Sea.  Here is a link to a youtube video of this clip: Prince of Egypt, Red Sea.

I enjoy video clips in teaching and learning, so that was fun for me.  I also like the big class, entire church environment... community coming together to worship, study, learn, pray, and share... differently than on Sundays. 

Amy shared an acronym for the Wesleyan quadrilateral that I haven't heard yet: R.E.S.T.  I like that acronym.  It's easy to remember, for one.  And, for me, it describes what you can do as you live out your discipleship securely on the four areas of reason, experience, Scripture, and tradition. 

There are Ten Red Sea Rules.  They are:

#1-- Realize that God means for you to be where you are.
#2-- Be more concerned for God's glory than your relief.
#3-- Acknowledge your enemy, but keep your eyes on the Lord.
#4-- Pray!
#5-- Stay calm and confident, and give God time to work.
#6-- When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith.
#7-- Envision God's enveloping presence.
#8-- Trust God to deliver in His own unique way.
#9-- View your current crisis as a faith builder for the future.
#10- Don't forget to praise Him.

From the last two paragraphs of the preface, page x:

     "No sea is deeper than the ocean of His love.  There is no army stronger than His hosts, no force greater than His throne of grace, no enemy who can overcome His direct and indirect work in our lives.
     The reality of the Red Sea, in a word, is this: God will always make a way for His tired, yet trusting, children, even if He must split the sea to do it."

Though a tiny book of 117 pages and smaller than my outstretched hand, I know that this book is going to pack in some mighty powerful truths and insights. I can't wait!

May you glean something from the 10 rules shared above (or the posted videos) for your journey!

~Debra

Additional links for you:
Robert J. Morgan's Website
Red Sea Rules Website

No comments:

Post a Comment