Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Live Streaming Moments from Annual Conference.... anticipation.... is making me wait!


This morning I watched Bishop Dindy Taylor as she shared words of exhortation to the Holston Annual Conference clergy and laity gathered at Lake Junaluska (and those, like myself, watching via live stream). 

I was encouraged by what I heard.  I didn't hear lots because I was taking a brief study break.   She spoke about clergy not competing with laity and laity not competing with clergy... that we're all working together.  She also spoke about us being one church, one team.... that spoke to me of the connectional system and working together.  For both of those topics, what rang into my spirit was: "May it be so!"

Then they moved into preparing the Ordinands for Provisional Elder and the Ordination of Deacons and Elders, I couldn't help but continue to watch.  Honestly, I was mesmerized. 

I knew some of the folks in each of the categories, but not all of them.  Sometimes I knew the District Superintendents standing up with the folks being ordained.

But with the bird's eye view due to technology and being able to hear very clearly everything that was said, it captured my attention.  I was able to take a video of a former colleague and some still photos of other people, all from the video streaming (using my camera).

Part of the attention grabbing is very likely because I am nearing the time when I will become one of those Ordinands becoming a Provisional Elder (God willing, next summer). 

I am set to graduated next May and finish my coursework with one or two courses in the summer.  Those hours are more so I can have 18 graduate credits in Christian Leadership, in case an opportunity to teach arises.  I already have 14 and 18 are required to teach at an institution of higher learning.  Since I spent 24 years teaching, I figure that it isn't a bad idea to have 18 credits of Christian Leadership in my resource tool belt.

Where/How do I feel led to serve?  I am pursuing Ordination as an Elder because I feel a call to the sacraments.  What areas have emerged through my seminary studies as foci? Leadership.  Discipleship.  Spiritual Formation.  Guiding folks along their spiritual journey.  Add to that my ability to speak languages and my others gifts and graces.  What do you get?!?!  That's the million dollar question.

I look forward to watching God continue to unfold my path on this journey.  One thing I learned from Annual Conference is that Mustard Tree Ministries is now considered a mission congregation.  That places a big smile on my face and a "hmm" in my heart, mind, and soul.  I wonder how God will work in that?!?!  I have worked off and on with that ministry for many years, serving and teaching a Bible Study to women one year.  We had a retreat for them too.

Though not able to make it to Annual Conference this year, the team of photographers and The Call did a wonderful job of keeping us all informed with the online newsletter and pictures via Facebook and the website.  In addition, the live streaming option from Lake Junaluska was a tremendous blessing!  I have used that several years.

I have already marked my calendar for next year, in anticipation of actually being there.  We'll see.  In the meanwhile, I need to be faithful to my studies.   (Cue the Heinz ketchup commercial here... anticipation, is making me wait!) ☺

As a dear Academy sister put it: "One faithful step at a time will allow you to be in step with the One whose timing is always perfect."  Thank you, Robin!  I know!  And I know that the unfolding of God's purpose and plan will also be perfect. 

So, I return (once again) to my main task at hand, being a seminarian.

The ebb and flow of studying and serving..... of being student (and the other roles) and looking ahead just a little and dreaming...

What glimpse of future ministry captures you and mesmerizes you?  What are the faithful steps that you are walking in the meanwhile?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment