Sunday, June 1, 2014

My interest in Muslims...

In my post about the Holston Muslim Outreach Team, I said I would write about my interest in Muslims and why I would attend such a program.  It may seem strange to some that I am interested in learning more about Muslims because I don't speak Arabic (Spanish and French are my languages).

Here goes...

In undergraduate studies at Georgia Southern, I minored in International Studies.  I took courses that opened my awareness to "the other".  I also took my first trip abroad, to Spain, during my undergraduate studies.  Though we lived in Segovia for the majority of our time there, at the end of our studies we took a trip through southern Spain and into Ceuta, Morocco for the day.  Not only did I have book-learning of the Moors and their influence, I saw first hand the beauty of the culture in the tiles and archways in those places.

One of my linguist cousins (Frank) studied Arabic and spent some time in Yemen, so there was awareness in my life there, though I'm sure I could be much more aware and learn much more from him.  One summer when I was studying French at Middlebury College, he was teaching Arabic on campus (if memory serves me correctly).

During my years of teaching at Bryan College, I met missionary kids from other cultures.  One student in my French classes spoke Arabic.  I spoke no Arabic.  She had spent time in Saudi Arabia, I believe.  Oddly enough one day in our French 3 outing off campus, I thought I said something in French yet she thought she heard something in Arabic. 

I know one of the members of the Holston Muslim Outreach Team.  I have known Bex for many years.  We went to Costa Rica on at least one mission trip together.  Was that 2000 to La Suiza?  After her Costa Rica time, she went off to college and also spent time in the Philippines and Egypt.  We kept up with her adventures, travels, and studies through the years.  When she left for camel-land to learn Arabic, we were excited for her.  We kept in touch with her through those adventures too.  I have been able to learn about the Muslim people through her eyes and her voice and she shares her experiences and relationships. 

In 2011, I took a United Methodist Polity and Discipline course for my theological studies.  One of our assignments was that we had to first write an Issue/Controversy paper and then write a research paper on a controversial topic.  Because of what had happened fairly recently at that time in Murfreesboro, my topic for the first paper was "Opening UMC Doors to Muslims: Is This an Acceptable Practice?" and for my second paper the title was "Opening UMC Doors to Muslims: continuing the dialogue".  I found resources in my research within the United Methodist church that were helpful at the time.    One of those resources was from The Book of Resolutions, "Our Muslim Neighbors".  This was available in print in the 2008 version.  I'm not sure it is in print in the 2012 version, but you can read "Our Muslim Neighbors" online by clicking on either title.  The link will take you to an online version of the General Board of Church and Society.  It is 6061 in The Book of Resolutions (2008).

My research for those papers led me to discussions with the pastor in Cordova, Tennessee and to those who had worked with Muslims in other parts of the world.  This research had a profound effect on me as it opened my eyes.

The day before I was heading to the program to learn more about Muslims from the Muslim Outreach Team, an AT&T representative called me to try to convince me to change services.  We had a wonderful conversation.  This guy was new at his job, but was good.  He was personable, yet not pushy.  I enjoyed my conversation with him.  Normally I would have hung up much sooner after having said I wasn't interested.  But he kept me on the line.  I learned he was in Niagara, Canada.  Since I had been to the Canadian side of the falls, that interested me.  He mentioned his home was Sudan.  That peaked my interest.  I shared with him that I knew some about the country and the splits (the Methodist Church as the Children's home in Yei, South Sudan).  We talked some about his home area too.  He mentioned speaking Arabic.  I shared that I speak languages.  I told him I was going the next day to learn more about Muslims.  He seemed intrigued.  Was that coincidence or serendipity that I had this wonderful conversation with Amro the day before? 

The Muslim neighbor is my neighbor.  He or she may not live directly to my left or to my right, but I guarantee you that we shop at many of the same places and our children attend the same schools.  I may not even know this person, but if I want to be a neighbor to this person I see at the store or at the school, the more I know, the better.

In case you think I'm picking out one certain group from another, let me assure you that I realize that my "neighbor" is also of European descent, Native-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, ETC.  I hope "etc." will cover all the continents and countries... or I would be typing for a very long time.

My neighbor is anyone and everyone.  For me to know my neighbor means that I must be open to knowing my neighbor.  I must be open to having a conversation, to sharing life, to sharing a meal.  For me, this is what life is about.... sharing our lives with one another.  Getting to know one another.

It's about peace and reconciliation.  It's about loving and supporting one another.  It's about being intentional in taking and making time to get to know others.

In your world, in your community, in your neighborhood, who is it that you need to learn more about, to know better?   What resources do you need to guide you in your learning?

If you are seeking to know Muslims better and live in the Holston Conference, I encourage you to take advantage of the resources offered by the Muslim Outreach Team.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

Additional resources/articles I found:

Supporting our Muslim Brothers and Sisters (article from a Northern Illinois church)
The Fountains UMC (an example of a church doing interfaith ministry, going beyond interfaith dialogue)
Bridge Refugee Services (an agency dedicated to helping refugees settle locally.  This is one way to help a neighbor.)
Bridge Chattanooga office

GBOD Resources-- Studies about Islam (There are quite a few resources listed here.)
Office of Christian Unity and Interreligious Relationships (Scroll down to download a brochure entitled "Basic Facts about Islam")



No comments:

Post a Comment