Monday, April 4, 2011

Dos Amigos Mexican Restaurant


A post about food?!?  Yes.  I know.  This is different from my normal posts.  Consider this a resting spot on the journey.  If you're on a hiking trail like me, find a comfortable log or a rock to sit on and relax.

As I drove from my little area of town (Hixson) into Chattanooga on Amnicola Highway, a new restaurant caught my attention last week.  Today, I had the opportunity and pleasure of stopping in and having lunch (or what was actually "brunch" because they let me in around 10:30am).

First of all, let me say that they have done an EXCELLENT job of renovating this building!  They are in the former Blue Orleans building at 3208 Amnicola Highway.  The former tenants let this building run down after Mike and Cherita Adams opened up the downtown Blue Orleans location.  I know this because my husband and I ate dinner there on October 15, 2010 and were eye-witnesses to stained ceiling tiles, some of which were hanging down in places.  The floors had issues too.  We wondered how they were staying open.  It was after that dinner date that we learned about the real Blue Orleans, and that Mike and Cherita had no connections any longer to that location.

Anyway, the Dos Amigos crew has fixed this place up!  The floors are newly tiled as are the ceilings.  There is Mexican art on the walls.

The booths and tables and some of the light fixtures are the same, but the flow is more open.   The bathroom is freshly renovated as well.  It isn't fancy, but it is clean and inviting.  Another very small detail that brought a smile to my face was their choice in napkin holders.  Instead of plain white or plain green, they have a very colorful one with chili peppers, a sombrero, and maracas that says: "muchas gracias".  Very cool!
it's a little blurry, but you get the idea
Then, there is the food.  Chips and salsa are always indicators for me.  If a restaurant doesn't pass the 'chips and salsa' test, it is likely the rest of the food won't be too good either.  The chips were fresh, crispy, and warm.  The salsa was fresh, tasty, and just enough "kick" for my taste buds.  (Most people like their salsa hotter than I do.)

chips and salsa
Being pleased with the chips and salsa, I was looking forward to my chicken chimichanga.  I was not disappointed.  The chicken was shredded with sauteed onions and peppers.  The outside of the chimichanga was covered in the Mexican white cheese, as the menu calls it "gooey cheese".  A side of refried beans (frijoles) and some guacamole on a bed of shredded lettuce with chopped tomatoes and sour cream filled the plate.  It was delicious.
chicken chimichanga
Having some room left and wanting to hang out and speak more Spanish :), I ordered dessert.  I decided to try their flan.  I don't often have flan out, but decided to today.  I wasn't disappointed.
flan
Besides delicious food, I enjoyed conversing with the workers.  I met several very nice folks.  Though they spoke English, they were gracious to allow me to speak Spanish.  Some speak English better than others, but in fairness, English is one of the more difficult foreign languages for people to learn. 

I recommend Dos Amigos Mexican Restaurant.  Of course, if you're not a local reader, this has no meaning to you whatsoever.  Maybe you'll enjoy the pictures I took.

The restaurant's address is 3208 Amnicola Highway, Chattanooga, TN 37406.  For more information or for a pick-up order, you can call 423-495-1802.

While there, I did learn two things having to do with the spiritual journey: 

1) several of the workers attend a local Spanish evangelical church
flyer for upcoming speaker at the church "Eagles' Nest" (nido de águilas)
2) the local fm radio station 101.9 (La Buena) has Christian contemporary music in Spanish during certain hours on Saturdays and Sundays (http://www.quebuena1019.com/)

Today, part of my journey included Spanish, my heart language.  It was definitely a joy to be able to speak with folks from the latino culture in their native language.  (And second language for one Guatemalan young man.)

May your journey include encounters with good food, good fellowship, and other cultures!


~Debra

6 comments:

  1. you know you can make people really jealous and hungry talking about such yummy mexican food like that in front of people who live in nations which are deprived of such wonderful restaurants... :) can we go next time i'm home? (i will order in arabic)
    bex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot guarantee this exact restaurant will be in business next time you're home (which will be???). However, if it is, you've got it! :) If it's not, we'll find another one. I'll order in Spanish and you can order in Arabic. Sounds good to me. :)

    debra :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, it's a deal. think in the july time-frame... :)
    bex

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those that are local-- have you gone to the restaurant yet? If so, what were your thoughts, impressions, experiences? It would be great to hear what others ate, what their experience was, etc.

    When I drove by on Wednesday, April 13th on my way to a 1:00pm physical therapy appointment, the Dos Amigos parking lot was jam-packed full!

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true i, myself fell in love with this place. It is now one of my favon]rite mexican restaurant. Their salsa and chips are very unique and different tase than any of the other places i've been to. The fajitas are abesolutly amazing. i recommend Dos Amigos Mexican Restaurant to everyone out there. The service is the best and they are very nice people. The short musclar chubby man is very nice and knows how to treat his customers. His wife is very beautiful and young looking. Shes very elegant. Im sure this restaurant will succeed. Debra i myself seen the parking lot around lunch time and it was packed. i could not even find myself a parking space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you "anonymous" for sharing your experience with Dos Amigos restaurant! I do believe it will succeed too. It has been way too long since I've been back to eat. I think it's time to go eat at Dos Amigos again in the near future! Thanks for the fajitas recommendation! Gracias.

    ReplyDelete