Sunday, April 10, 2011

Launching Out into the Deep by Karen Roberts

http://www.daily-devotionals.com/2011/04/launch-out-into-the-deep/

Here's another one of Karen Roberts' devotions that caught my attention this afternoon.

Here's a line in the devotion that speaks to me: "Jesus had revealed something that will help us if we trust Him. When He calls us to launch out into something new that might be a bit scary or uncomfortable, He will provide for us abundantly as we step out in faith and obey Him."

I have been called to go deeper, as I have shared since 2006.   More recently, I have been called to launch out into the adventure of the 5 day Academy (Fall 2010), which led me into launching out into re-applying to seminary for the M.Div. and applying for the 2 year bilingual academy. 

There have been other launching out adventures along the way, in-between these: retiring from teaching the first time (effective Spring '07), applying to seminary for the Certificate in Christian Studies and starting coursework in the Summer of '07, taking UMVIM leader training (Fall 2007), leading a mission trip to Costa Rica in 2008, changing churches, coming out of retirement to go back into teaching and getting the opportunity to teach online. (That's all I can think of right now.... I'm sure there have been more.  God doesn't let me stay comfortable too long.) :)

And, there is a current issue in which I'm seeking wisdom and discernment as to whether or not I'm being called to launch into the deep.  I can't fully make sense of it because I don't see the end product.  However, I believe launching out into the deep dovetails very nicely with Karen Roberts' other devotion that I shared about trusting in God's timing.   Not only do I have to trust that God is saying "launch out into the deep, you will find what you're looking for there", but I have to trust that this is God's timing.  Shoot, I just have to trust.  And, I feel like I'm back up there on that small wooden platform up in the trees on the ropes course, wanting to jump out and catch the trapeze, yet afraid I won't make it, that I'll miss the mark.  This has been rumbling inside me for a while.

Karen Roberts challenges her readers with this: "Is Jesus calling you to launch out into the deep? Maybe He is leading you to step out of your comfort zone. to move. or to start a business. or to take a new job. or to build new friendships. Maybe He is leading you to further your education or to step into new ministry. Or perhaps it’s a simple call to go deeper with Him in your spiritual life. Don’t be afraid. Trust Him! The One who can multiply fish can meet your every need."

Launching out into the deep is another aspect of the journey.  Check out Karen's devotion.  It spoke to me.  May it speak to you.  Or, maybe there is someone with whom you know you can share it.

For me, I'm becoming more and more uncomfortable on this platform.  I think it's getting time to jump.

Blessings on your journey as you launch into the deep.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment