Thursday, April 5, 2012

Each That We Lose Takes Part of Us by Emily Dickinson

Today, there was a loss on earth, yet a gain in heaven.  Linda Bird Wright went home today after a valiant battle with cancer.  She was much to many.  For me, I met Linda Bird Wright when she came to Grace UMC in Soddy Daisy, TN.  I got to know her through my position as Staff Parish Chair for the short time she was there.  We kept in touch when she moved on up to Unicoi and I was privileged and blessed to take her to a radiation treatment when she was in town.  There were other opportunities along the way for some conversations and texts.  She was not only a pastor to me, but a mentor, a sister in Christ. 

And, so much more.  If you knew her, you'd know what I mean..... There are many that knew her better than I and could tell you more.  All I know is that I was blessed by the times I had with Linda and Walt. 

When I heard the news this morning, I was relieved for her, yet there were still tears.  There have been tears throughout the day.  Though I didn't plan on going to the Maundy Thursday service tonight, I did.  I sat next to a dear sister in Christ who is very artistic and creative and who loves poetry.  I mentioned to her that the evening might be difficult because of working through this loss and some other situations in life right now.  She shared this poem with me by Emily Dickinson.  Powerful words and oh, so true. 

"Each That We Lose Takes Part of Us"
by Emily Dickinson

Each that we lose takes part of us;
A crescent still abides,
Which like the moon, some turbid night,
Is summoned by the tides.

This fragment of a poem was written by Emily Dickinson after the death of a friend, Judge Otis Phillips Lord.  (From Dickinson's Final Sorrows)

It is a wonderful and glorious thing that life is made up of relationships so that we can be part of each other's lives.  Yes, it means grieving and pain when there is loss, but there is much joy and life along the way. 

We all lose people in our lives.  Yet, how neat to reflect on this poem and regard the crescent that still abides.

Tomorrow is Good Friday.  And Passover this year.  I wonder how this poem can reflect the life, death, and resurrection of Christ?

Blessings on the abiding crescents in us all and those who've taken parts of us,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment