Friday, April 27, 2012

Early Morning Telemarketing Phone Call.... Obstacle or Opportunity?

At 4:05 am this morning, the phone rang.  Because the phone sits on the nightstand on my side of the bed, it rang in my ear.  As the ringing woke me up from my sleep, I tried to read the phone number, but all I saw was "out of area".  It is rare to get phone calls in the middle of the night and I tend to think those are normally emergency phone calls.

So, I answer the phone and say hello.  At first no one on the other end responds.  Then, a cheerful voice in non-native English (which was the first clue we were probably in a different time zone) started telling me about a great deal I could have on my phone service for $59.99 a month.

I politely interrupted her to ask her if she knew what time it was and told her that it happened to be 4:05 am and then I asked her if this was an emergency.  She continued her marketing announcement, not understanding my time zone at first.  Then, I told her I was satisfied with my phone service (though I must find a way to block non-emergency calls during the sleep hours) and I repeated that it was 4:05 am, which by now was a few minutes past that. 

She replied, but you are in Australia, right?  Ah, the confusion.  I corrected her and told her that I was in the United States and that she had awakened me from my sleep.  (I would love to go to Australia one day!!)  Then, I heard her talking to others in the room, explaining to them that this phone number and area code was not Australia, but the United States.  I thought she might return to apologize, but instead, she hung up.

It was kind of funny.  I thought about all those other area codes like mine being saved from the early morning phone call.

This entire conversation only lasted about 4 or 5 minutes.  When I went back to bed, I prayed for her and the telemarketing job.  That's not an easy job.  To cold-call folks isn't easy, especially when you wake them up at 4:05am.  Thankfully, there was enough peace and grace for this conversation to have been calm. ☺  Then, I prayed for other folks that came to mind.... my pastors that are transitioning soon.... one to be a D.S. (District Superintendent) and the other into retirement up in New Jersey.  And, I prayed for the two pastors transitioning in. 

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and pray for folks if and when they are put on my heart and mind.  This is the first time a phone call has springboarded my mind and heart into prayer. 

The call could have been an obstacle or an opportunity.  It became an opportunity.  For that, I am grateful. 

What interruptions might come your way today?  How will you see them?  How will you deal with them?  Will they be obstacles or opportunities?

Blessings on the journey!

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Those calling are telemarketer doing a disgusting thing rather than giving a customer service that needs of customer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, lesson learned never give your number unless you want to receive these calls. Even though if it's a restuarant or even on Facebook never put it up because Telemarketing List makers always finds their way to find you as any company's prospective buyer.

    ReplyDelete