Friday, April 13, 2012

Prayer of Trust

This "Prayer of Trust" is one of the daily prayers given to us each morning in the sessions led by Linda Douty.  Trust is something I'm attempting to live into in my journey.  Some days I do pretty well; other days not so much. ☺  But, trust is part of the journey.  As is learning to trust.

There is a certain availability to God when we do trust.  Many of the devotions in Jesus Calling reflect on trust too.  Hmmm... could it be that this short 5-letter word in the English language carries so much weight?!?!?  Yes! 

I've written some posts about trust and included images of trust dives and trust falls, rappelling, etc.  Today, I'll simply post the "Prayer of Trust" and a few more thoughts.

Trust involves risk, taking that step of faith.  Stepping one step more.

As I went into the silence time after the session, I wrote: "Once again, I am accepting the invitation to go deeper."  I posted something additional on Facebook, adding that even though I don't see the final destination, it is the journey to which I look forward with anticipation.  This is trust. 

"Prayer of Trust"
O Holy One, be with me in my uncertainty, my confusion.
I hardly know which way to turn, yet my heart in expectation turns to you.
Somehow I know--I trust-- that you honor my willingness, because it's all I have right now.
Even if I make a misstep and stumble, I trust your gracious Spirit to steer me back on the path.

So accept my feeble effort, my availability, my deep desire to serve you.
I no longer ask for a vision of the whole journey, but simply for the next step.
Shine your holy light on my path forward, and I will take that step with your loving, forgiving Spirit ever at my side.
Amen.


I encourage you to read over this prayer a couple of times.  Read it over slowly to see what jumps out at you.  See where you connect with it.

As you walk your journey, may you continue to take steps of trust!

~Debra

1 comment: