Saturday, August 26, 2017

Hiking the Falling Waters Falls trail

Yesterday we went up to the Falling Waters Falls State Natural Area on Signal Mountain in Walden.  I don't remember having parked in that area before, though I thought I have hiked to the top of the waterfall before.




The parking lot has spaces for about 4 cars, maybe 5, depending on size.  It would be nice to have a trash can there on site as there was quite a bit of trash around the parking area and the sign.  We got lucky yesterday.  We were the only ones when we got there and when we left.  We had the trail to ourselves.

The trail is an easy to moderate walk/hike, with the only treacherous portion(s) being when you get to the waterfall area and then continue up and around the bluff.  One needs to use common sense and not get to close to the edge.  It's a long way down.

I kept looking for the big hole in the rock that I remembered from my last time there, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe there is another waterfall/cliff spot on top of the mountain that I'm thinking of or I just couldn't see it yesterday.





What I could see yesterday was a bubbling creek to the left after we were in the woods for a little bit (no pictures of it).  Then we came out to where the water goes over the rock and down below.  There wasn't much flowing yesterday, so the waterfall was small.  After enjoying the view for a little bit, we headed up the trail along the bluff.  We followed it to the end.  It wasn't as traveled on this part.

There was a rock perfect for standing or sitting to enjoy the view.  You could see the Sequoyah stacks off to the distance on the left and the lake/river too.  Closer in you could see the "new" housing development next to highway 27.  We didn't realize how expansive it was and that they were still building.



I saw different kinds of mushrooms along the trail and took pictures of the ones that were easy to get to.  There were three mushrooms in the woods, lined up together (one in front of the other), shining in the light, but I couldn't quite get to them for a picture.





I enjoyed the tiny flowers along the way too.





There was enough trash along the trail to fill up about two grocery bags full.  I didn't carry any bags with me yesterday and regretted it.  There were some plastic bottles--water and power drinks; there were some aluminum cans--beer; there were cigarette packs-- one even thumb-tacked to a tree; there were glass bottles semi-buried in the leaves-- showing some evidence that the front portion might have been used as a dump at one time and deserves some extensive clean up time.  Though there wasn't too much trash, it was enough to consider a clean up hike to get it out and reminded me of the time I took our youth at First Dayton on a clean up hike on a trail in the Dayton area and shared a devotion "Living Waters" while we were on a rock next to the stream.  That was in the 90s.


The trail itself is short, but one can spend quite a bit of time up there because the scenery is gorgeous and it's a great place to simply "be".

I had left my hammock in the car, but there are plenty of trees for some hanging time too.

After we left the natural area, we went to Guthrie's for some fried chicken and took it to Signal Point for a picnic.  We weren't ready to go back indoors just yet.  It was too nice of a day to call it quits.  The overlook on the point allows for a great view of the river.





There are some rock formations to the left of the picnic pavilion and we enjoyed those for a few moments.


Though we looked at the hiking pavilion, we didn't do any more hiking.



If you're interesting in checking out some of these local areas, I'll include links at the bottom.

Getting outside and into the woods is an important part of my journey.  It gives life to my soul, expanding the breathing space, allowing me to listen to God, refreshing me, and strengthening my connection with the Creator.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

Falling Waters Falls State Natural Area
Signal Point
Guthrie's Chicken
Cumberland Trail State Park (Signal Point trails are part of this trail)

No comments:

Post a Comment