Tuesday, August 15, 2017

In the morning when I rise....morning prayers

Today I start the day with coffee outside on the patio, listening to the waterfall feature, and hoping to glimpse at least one hummingbird.

Since I couldn't find my Upper Room Worhsipbook I bought at the 5 day Academy, I am using this one today.  It is one of ten I found at Flintstone UMC in the library when I was looking through books last year.  Being at the 5 day Academy and then a 2 year Academy, I became well acquainted with the songs, the Psalm prayers, and the liturgies for daily prayer (morning, noon, and night).  Each day had its rhythm.  

Yesterday, in talking with a friend and colleague (Ginger Isom), we were talking some about the worship and rhythm of the Academy and how we were drawn to it.  She is considering working on a "rhythm day" for her 2nd year project (hopefully along with others on her journey) to offer for those who are interested who have been to a 5 day or 2 year or have yet to been and can experience such worship.  Maybe that's why I picked up the worship book this morning when I headed outside for my quiet time today.


The liturgy for morning prayer in this book is #112.

We can sing Psalm 51:15 "O God, open our lips, and we shall declare Your praise." together OR read:

God said: Let there be light; and there was light.
And God saw that the light was good.  This very day the Lord has acted!
LET US REJOICE!
Praise the Lord!
GOD'S NAME BE PRAISED!

A morning hymn or Psalm 95 follows.

Then this prayer: 

New every morning is your love, great God of light, and all day long you are working for good in the world.  Stir up in us desire to serve you, to live peacefully with our neighbors, and to devote each day to your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord.  AMEN. 

(This prayer is from The Worshipbook-- Services and Hymns, p. 57, Westminster Press.)


Each day IS new.  New blessings.  New challenges.  New opportunities.  

I am grateful for the blessings, challenges, and opportunities of yesterday and open to those of today.

The rest of the morning prayer liturgy continues with another Psalm, some silence, a psalm prayer, reading from Scripture, canticle of Zachary or a hymn of praise, prayers of thanksgiving (intercession, and petition), the Lord's prayer, a hymn or doxology, and benediction.

Joining in community for this time of morning prayer is a great way to start the day.  A rhythm day will be just the right thing.  I look forward to that dream/vision coming to fruition.  I also hope to make my way back to a 5 day again, to enjoy the week long rhythm.

Meanwhile, I rise each day to experience the love and light of God, to seek to be that love and light to others, to live peacefully with my neighbors, to devote the day to Christ, to live, love, and lead as Christ did.

The benediction from #112?

Go in peace.  Serve the Lord.  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.  AMEN. 

(From same book above, p. 58.)

Blessings on your journey, 

Debra

P.S.  Here's a song for the day: (first one with Jeremy Camp singing; second one with Fernando Ortega)




Lyrics: 

In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus
And when I am alone
Oh, and when I am alone
And when I am alone, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus
And when I come to die
Oh, and when I come to die
And when I come to die, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
You can have all this world
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment