Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 5-- Acts 10-- Disciples' Literal New Testament-- thoughts and reflections


I started the practice of reading Acts 10 a few days before Lent actually started. So on Sunday, the first Sunday of Lent, I was on schedule.  But, today, I am already a day behind, doing "day 5" of 40 when I "should" be on day 6.

I've already admitted that I've bitten off more than I can chew.  Therefore, there is no "should" nor shame.  I am curious to continue reading different versions of the passage to see what speaks to me, but if I don't make 40 days or 40 versions, that's okay.

The goal in this practice was not to meet a certain "mark".  It was (and is) to deepen my understanding of Scripture and through that, to grow in my relationship with God, the Creator.

For today's reading, I have chosen the Disciples' Literal New Testament version (DLNT) from Bible Gateway.  This is a new version to me.  For more on this version, you can click here for a PDF that explains the DLNT very well.

I will use the opening prayer that I used for day 4 today:

Opening Prayer:

"God, as I open myself up to you in these moments to read this passage fresh and anew, I ask that you reveal to me that which you would have me learn today.  Help me see.  More than that, I pray for transformation as I take what you show me and apply it to my life.  Amen."

Cornelius' acts of serving to the people included the Jewish people.  He wasn't solely doing or giving for his own kind.  I don't think I caught that before, either due to the versions or my own perspective.  When we do for other people, it is often (more than not) for those that are like us in any way you'd like to describe.  Yet, Cornelius did things for the Jewish people, according to verse 2: "doing many acts-of-almsgiving to the [Jewish] people,"

That is enough to chew on right there, isn't it?  Who are the "different" people in my neighborhood, community, nation, and world that God has put in my path for me to serve? 

In this version, in Peter's vision, the voice says to Peter in response to Peter not wanting to eat of the food he sees: "The things which God made-clean, don't you be making-defiled". (verse 15)

In reading the PDF for the DLNT (linked above and here), it notes that words in bold are emphasized in the Greek.  The voice is emphasizing to Peter that he doesn't have a right to defile what God has made clean.

Another pause moment.  God changed the rules on Peter, making something clean that hadn't previously been clean.  Peter was attempting to stay strong, saying that he could never eat those things. (Peter attempted to stay strong in quite a few situations, didn't he?!?! He said he wouldn't deny Jesus either.  We can learn quite a bit from Peter.)  Yet, God wants Peter to understand that these are no longer defiled and for Peter to not eat them is defiling them.  There is more to understand too, from the vision, as Peter later learns when he meets Cornelius, but as they say, that's the "rest of the story."

In verses 19 and 20, the Spirit tells Peter to get up and go downstairs to greet the men and that it was the Spirit who sent them to him: "Behold-- three men as seeking you.  But having arisen, go down and proceed with them not doubting at all, because I have sent them forth."

In this version, the Spirit doesn't tell Peter to not ask a question, but rather to not doubt.  To not doubt what?  Who they are or why they are there, most likely.  Does Peter's question that follows in verse 21 signify doubt or curiosity?  Whether doubt or curiosity, there is such a thing of leaning into and living into the questions.  Questions aren't necessarily "bad".  They are questions. 

In verse 28, Peter reveals what he learned from the vision as he speaks to Cornelius and the others: "And-yet God showed me that I should be calling no person defiled or unclean."

I wonder, if God showed this to Peter, is this a lesson for us today?  Is there anyone on God's creation (as God's creation) that we have the right to call defiled or unclean?

I'll pause for a moment.  Have I ever called another human being unclean or defiled?  Or, have I even thought those words?  Yes.  In some instances, like Peter, I was taught that certain people were considered unclean or defiled.  Yet, if God taught Peter that it was no longer true and that was HUNDREDS of years ago, why do we still struggle today? [Okay, so that is a rhetorical question as I have "some" ideas: human nature, lack of knowledge, unwillingness to hear truth, etc.]

The more we know about one another, the harder it is to call each other defiled and unclean, right?! 

I am a sinner for many reasons, one being that I have not seen others as God sees them.  How can I share God's love with others whom I am unwilling to get to know, talk with, open my door to? 

As I repent of my sinfulness, I recognize that I am not to convince others of God's love for them, but to show them the love of Christ as best I can through my actions and maybe even words. 

I like the Agnus Day cartoons.  The one below is from the Acts 10 passage.

 "God loves everyone!"  God forgives us sinners.  That is good news.


I think that is all the "chewing" I am able to do today in Acts 10.  I found this version (the Disciples' Literal New Translation) to be interesting.  I may refer to it more often.

May we, like Peter, be willing to see others how God intends for us to see them.

Amen.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment