Monday, February 12, 2018

Reading and Studying Acts 10 in different versions-- Day 1

Church of St. Peter
The other day it struck me-- 'what if I spent time during Lent reading the same passage in a different version each day?'  If I reflected on the passage using lectio divina each day, what might come out of that divine reading?

I don't know if I'll make it to 40 versions or not.  We'll see.  But I'm going to start the journey.
I decided to read Acts 10 because this passage with Peter has struck me in the past and caught my attention.  I wondered what reading it intentionally over a period of time and allowing the Scripture to read me might do.

Today, 2/12/18, I begin with the New Revised StandardVersion of Acts 10.  (Click on the link to go to  the Bible Gateway link and passage.)

As a review of lectio divina (or an introduction), I will read through the passage several times.  Lectio divina involves reading (lectio), reflecting (meditatio), responding in prayer (oratio), and resting (contemplatio).  There are many good explanations on lectio divina.  Click here for a brochure from Contemplative Outreach.

Opening Prayer:
"Lord, open my eyes to what you have for me today.  Show me what you want me to see and guide my understanding.  Amen."

Acts 10 is a big passage.  I wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew.  What stands out to me today?  That God prepared Cornelius and Peter separately to come together.  They were from different worlds, but God brought them together.  There are signs of hospitality in this passage, both from Peter and Cornelius.  Peter's vision merits more reflection.

What strikes me most today is the obedience of both Cornelius and Peter.  Both listened and obeyed.  They likely didn't fully understand what was being asked of them.  Cornelius didn't even know the person he was seeking.  Yet, both men followed through because they knew that what was happening was bigger than them and they simply did their part.  Peter wouldn't let Cornelius worship him and made him get up when he bowed to him, stating that he was 'only a mortal'.  Peter humbly responded to God's leading.

The result of listening and obeying of these two?  The good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ was shared with all those in attendance and the Holy Spirit came upon them.  Lives were transformed.
May lives continue to be transformed by the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Amen.
-----
Whatever practice you choose during the upcoming Lenten season, may there be blessings on your journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment