Monday, December 31, 2018

2018-- a year in reflection

2018 is winding down quickly. 

If I were to pull out my calendar, I might be able to better pull out highlights of the year.  However, I'm going to try to do it from memory.

What are my 2018 highlights?

  • I went to Women of Joy in April in Pigeon Forge with a great bunch of women from Flintstone UMC.
  • In May I met with the Bishop and my colleagues at the Conference office on Red Nose Day.  We had our official pictures made with the Bishop and a photo with red noses.
  • Charlie's art department at Hixson High School won $75,000 from Van's shoes in an art competition.
  • I was Ordained as an Elder in Full Connection in the United Methodist Church in June.
  • I had a successful left hip replacement surgery on June 25.
  • I won a stole in a contest from Serendipity Stoles.
  • We added another member to our family, Cliff, a 7 year old chow mix.
  • Riley and I traveled to NC for a FUMSDRL/HOF retreat/board meeting in July, taking our time getting there by spending some time sight-seeing along the way.  I met an author at a local bookstore and picked up the sign "love and acceptance practiced here".  I also met Jane Vennard at the retreat, along with some other great folks and reconnected with others.
  • Charlie started his senior year in the fall and we had the final Friday night football / band nights and band competitions.
  • We went to Nashville in October to check out Watkins College.
  • I participated in a local Interfaith Service as an usher in October.
  • My niece married in November and it was my 2nd wedding to officiate.
  • Riley FULLY and FINALLY retired at the end of November from the pharmacy world.

That isn't the entire year in review.  These are the things that I could think of without going back to my calendar.  It doesn't include the many folks I've gotten to know, some significant experiences, opportunities, etc.  It is a quick view, an overview.  

I wonder, if I were to pick one picture to depict 2018, what would that be?  

I think it would be a picture from the bamboo patch that I visited on January 11th at Reflection Riding.  I started off last year with a day apart that opened things up for me spiritually.  This picture depicts that, in a small way.



What are your highlights from 2018?

What are your hopes and dreams for 2019?

Grace and peace in the journey,

Debra




2 comments: