Thursday, December 20, 2018

Rolling off the FUMSDRL/HOF Board

Today was my last board call for the Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders (FUMSDRL), also known as Hearts on Fire (HOF).  You can learn more about this organization by clicking HERE and going to the website (which was recently updated).

My stint on the board started with a phone call (well, a couple of them) from Sue Magrath, one of the board members whom I've only met over the phone, over 6 years ago.  She asked if I would be willing to post things on their FB page from time to time.  That led to a conversation about being on the board and writing for the non-member newsletter, which I did for several years. My role changed after that to other areas as I continued to serve.

I have been on local boards and conference ones before, but never a national board.  Board meetings are done via phone, except a yearly face to face one.  Every other year, the face to face board meeting coincides with the retreat/gathering.

My very first board call was while I was at the 2 Year Bilingual Academy in July 2012.  I was in my room for that call, listening to the others talk.  At that time, they were voices only.  I could see pictures online, but I hadn't met them yet.  I would first meet the board members in 2013 at the summer face to face meeting in Buffalo, MN. (I missed the 2012 Gathering at Bon Secours because I was at the Academy.)

Buffalo, MN was my first time to MN, but not my last, as the retreat was held there the following year.  By meeting the board in person, I made deeper connections with folks that couldn't be made over the phone.  Those relationships, those connections have continued to be life giving.

Even those phone calls were life giving.  Space was held for prayer, for souls, not just for the work of the organization.  During those phone calls throughout the years, there was quiet time, prayer, native American flute playing, centering, poetry, and we covered business.  Over these past 6 1/2 years, both on the phone and in person, I have been held by this board, even as the members have changed over the years.

This board is one of the many communities that has given me life and sustained my life.  They have seen me through the Academy, through seminary, through my Provisional Elder and Elder in Full Connection journeys, through family things, through surgery, etc.

I thought rolling off the board would be easier for me.  I served my time.  Heck, I served OVER my time.  Yet, I am finding it a little difficult today, knowing that I am finished with this community in this capacity.

It's not a good-bye.  I know that.  I'm reflecting on the relationships that have been given to me over these 6 1/2 years, the fun, the fellowship, the spiritual growth.  My heart is full, to overflowing.

I am grateful that they gave a young newbie a chance 6 1/2 years ago, that I was able to write, help some with education ties, and the website.

Most of all, I am grateful for all it has given me.  I cannot begin to communicate how my life, my soul, has benefited from this board and from the organization.  Many other FUMSDRL/HOF connections whom I've met through SOULfeast, at retreats/gatherings, through the Academy have also been a part of speaking life into me and giving me life.  Many were on the board at one time or another.

If I were to try to write down every person's name, I'd undoubtedly leave someone out.  Some folks I may have only "met" on the phone and not in person.  Regardless, my life has been impacted.  I am grateful.

To those who served in the past, to those who serve currently, and to the one who left us too soon, Thank you.

Just because I'm off the board, it doesn't mean I'm out of FUMSDRL/HOF.  I will continue to be active on the FB page.  Click HERE to check it out.  I will keep up with the website (posted above).  I will stay in touch with folks.  I will attend the national retreats and gatherings as possible.  The next one is in 2020 in Arizona.

Debra

---------------------

A few pictures-- not in order.  I could post SO many more from the board retreats and places, but I won't.  I'm sorry that I don't have pictures of everybody through the years.

A "Jerry and Terry" sandwich.  Jerry Haas and Terry Hershey. Buffalo, MN. 2014 Retreat

Communion at the beach. 2017 board retreat, NC

Another view of communion at the beach, 2017 board retreat
Karen Moore, Cynthia Good

Karen Moore at 2013 board Retreat, Buffalo, MN

Greg Davis at 2013 board Retreat, Buffalo, MN

Scottie Brafford at 2015 board retreat, Houston, TX

2015 board picture, Houston, TX

2016 board picture, Houston, TX




No comments:

Post a Comment