Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Advent 4, Christmas Eve-- reflections and photos


Advent has come and gone, Christmas time is here.  Do you remember the Charlie Brown Christmas song, "Christmas Time is Here"?  Hearing that song with the children's voices is a reminder to me that it IS Christmas time.  The picture above is my CD of Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

As Advent leaves us and Christmas is upon us, we have the 12 days of Christmas to live into until Epiphany, January 6th.  For many, it is all over as soon as December 26th arrives. Yet the magi are still on the backs of the camels, following the star, seeking out the Christ child.

How do we respond when it's all said and done?  Are we too exhausted and broke to respond or reflect?  One way to truly respond is to live into Howard Thurman's "The Work of Christmas".  It is a poem I have already seen going around this year on social media.  I have shared it before in sermons and probably in a blog post. 

Here is a picture of it:


Here is the poem by Howard Thurman (not inside a photo):

When the song of the angels is stilled,
when the star in the sky is gone,
when the kings and princes are home,
when the shepherds are back with their flocks,
the work of Christmas begins:
to find the lost,
to heal the broken,
to feed the hungry,
to release the prisoner,
to rebuild the nations,
to bring peace among the people,
to make music in the heart.


Here are the remaining Advent words for this year, the questions, the pictures I posted, and my reflections.


Today's word is #love. How have you experienced love this Advent season? What does the Incarnate love of Christ mean to/for you? #adventphoto#holstongap


Today's word is #love. On the 4th Sunday of Advent, I am reminded that love came down, was Incarnate, and that we are called to love one another as we have been loved. #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #renew. How are you being renewed this Advent season? What still needs to be renewed? What does the word renew mean to you? #adventphoto #holstongap


Today's word is #renew. I looked up the word for more information. This is what I found from one source: "resume (an activity) after an interruption. "the parents renewed their campaign to save the school"
synonyms: resume, return to, take up again, come back to, begin again, start again, restart, recommence;
continue (with), carry on (with)
"I renewed my search"

During this Advent season, I have been able to renew photography as a contemplative practice, to daily focus more intentionally on a word and my surroundings, to see things with eyes of the heart. This spiritual practice brings me life. #adventphoto#holstongap




Today's word is #birth. At the end of the Advent season, what does birth bring into your faith journey? As you reflect on this word and on the birth of Christ, what is being birthed in your faith journey this year? #adventphoto#holstongap



Today's word is #birth. When I posted the reflection questions for the words, I asked something to the effect: 'what has birthed this Advent season in your life?' As the light of Advent grew this season and I had the opportunity to do some Hispanic ministry in community, one thing that birthed was a renewed hope that God still remembers my heart's desire and my heart language. Whether I use Spanish daily or momentarily, as I did this morning, it touches my soul in a deep place. I remain calm and trust. #adventphoto #holstongap


I bought a set of Advent mugs last Spring/Summer and used them each week.  When I first saw these mugs, my immediate thought was Advent.  I wasn't sure exactly how I would use them, but they got my attention.  Donna Godwin is the artist.  Her art page is Donna Godwin Art.  I took a mug each Sunday to church.  Sometimes I referenced it; sometimes I didn't.  I created a wreath at home.  The only thing missing is a white mug to be the Christ mug in the middle.  I will find one.  It was a different way to go through each week this year.  Drink hope, drink peace, drink joy, drink love.

A set of Advent mugs.  Art by Donna Godwin.  Mugs created by Christy Watts Williams.

Advent bulletin covers

Advent and Christmas Eve bulletin covers

Christmas Eve Candlelight Services
We went to all three Christmas Eve services in the Holston Georgia Parish this year.  Some years we split it up between co-pastors and some years we do them together.   The top service is at Simpson UMC, the middle is at Fort Oglethorpe UMC, and the bottom one is at Flintstone UMC.  For the past two years at Flintstone, it has been a community service, with churches and pastors from community attending and participating.  

Today is the 2nd day of Christmas.  How will I take the light of Christmas forward?  How will I take the things that I have learned and experienced with me as I continue on this journey?

What about you? 

May the peace, hope, joy, love, and light of Christ accompany you on your journey!

Debra

P.S.  In case you didn't see the post with the photo for all the challenge words, here is that photo:



No comments:

Post a Comment