Thursday, October 31, 2013

A day of unexpected joys and surprises....

You wouldn't think that going for your yearly doctor appointment would turn into one of the highlights of your day, especially considering it was the ob-gyn appointment.

However, upon my arrival this morning to the office, I noticed the workers were dressed up in costume.  I saw a superman, a spider man, an underdog, several tutus.  They said, 'just wait until you see the doctors.'  Okay, I admit, that was a little scary. ☺

My nurse had bat stuff on her and was creatively using a skirt as a bat cape. She had a tiny pumpkin and a bat on her head.  I saw an "incredible" character in his bright red and yellow looking underwear/pajamas.

If you really want to know what I was thinking, it was this:  OF ALL DAYS for me to be "courteous" and leave my phone in the car.  Oh, the pictures I could have taken!! ☺

When my doctor came around the curtain, I was looking at batman.  6 pack abs, mask, etc.  Weird, but cool.  He did take off the mask to chat with me, but as I heard him in the hallway, without the mask, he was "Bruce".  He said the abs got in his way and he wasn't sure how long he'd be able to work in the outfit.

But it was a fun time.  It made an otherwise not so fun doctor visit fun. ☺

From there I went to visit some folks at different hospitals.  I was early to one hospital, having misread my email.  "on Tuesday" (I finally figured out) meant next week; it wasn't in reference to earlier this week.

At the next hospital, after finally finding parking on the top outside section of the parking deck, I made my way inside and ran into one of the ladies in the Bible Study I lead twice a month.  I was able to check in with her and see how she was doing and also see how the lady was doing who had been in the hospital, learning that she had been moved to rehab.  This hospital didn't have as many folks in costumes, but there were a few. 

I had a good visit with the folks I was there to visit and pray with and then headed out.  I enjoy hospital visits.  Long before I started seminary, I visited folks in the hospital... to be with them, to chat with them, to pray with them.  I still remember visiting Lucy one day.  She was someone I attended Grace UMC with.  I was visiting her and the hospital chaplain came by.  She told the chaplain her chaplain was already with her.  If folks want, I read Scripture.  Sometimes I'm not the best person for hospital visits.  If you've got stitches and I make you laugh, that can be painful.  But, visiting folks in the hospital is something I've done for many years and it's something I really enjoy doing.  It is a blessing to attempt to bring some love, light, and joy into the situation.... and it's an honor and privilege simply to be in the ministry of presence.   It's not just hospitals, but homes and living facilities too....  There have been some good God moments and thin spaces over the years.  But, for the most part, it's simply a time to simply be.

After that, I headed to Starbucks for my free... FREE... birthday drink from my rewards card.  I wasn't going to make it to taekwondo, so what better way to celebrate the last day of the month?!?!  A venti salted caramel mocha!  Good thing I walked two miles this morning!


When I walked into Starbucks, I noticed one worker had a necklace of green lights.  But, the worker taking my order seemed "normal" until I finally realized her outfit was a BI-LO outfit, with a "Walter" apron and nametag.  Funny how it took me a few minutes to realize that she was in costume.  Since I was heading to BI-LO next to shop and my husband works with them, it took a few minutes to register in my brain that she was out of place.  That made me smile.

Oh, the odd things in a day that can make one smile.  Costumes in unexpected places.  Visits to hospitals.  Free coffee drinks.

Another unexpected joy and surprise is that my blog for the month of October has gone over 5,000 hits.  That's a new record.  That is mind boggling and humbling for me. 

To cap off my day, here are words of wisdom from Jesus Calling from today:

"Learn to listen to Me even while you are listening to other people.  As they open their souls to your scrutiny, you are on holy ground.  You need the help of My Spirit to respond appropriately.  As him to think through you, live through you, love through you.  [...] Be a channel of My Love, Joy, and Peace by listening to Me as you listen to others." (October 31)

Scripture references: Exodus 3:3; 1 Corinthians 6:19; John 7:38-39

That is my prayer for each day.... that I listen to God so that as I listen to others, I will be that channel, that open vessel.

May you be blessed with unexpected joys and surprises along your journey and may you be a blessing to others as you listen to God while listening to others.

It is my prayer that we all grow into better listeners.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment