Thursday, October 3, 2013

Risking vulnerability...

Today I stepped out of my comfort zone in a way that I would really have preferred not to.

You see, next Thursday (weather permitting), I will be stepping off a cliff with an instructor to hang-glide for my very first time.  Now, THAT is the stepping out and stepping off that brings me excitement from the fear.  Though scary, it will be an adventure.  I am truly looking forward to being in the air, in the sky, and experiencing the wind, the silence, the freedom!  I will write more about this later.

But you needed to see the contrast to understand more clearly what today's stepping out meant for me.  Today I finally stopped at the brick house to see if I could speak with the owner.  What brick house am I referring to?  (See posts at the bottom of this post for further reading.)

The one I have been praying over and for... for at least the past two years.  I first started praying for this house when we were looking for locations for My Sister's House, a ministry that offers clothing (primarily) to women going into the work force for the first time or after an extended time off for whatever reason.  Other services are offered, often through connections and referrals.

That brick house just simply stood out as an excellent location for ministry in the Hixson area.  And, I wasn't the only one who thought so.  It simply didn't happen.

Because my schedule changed unexpectedly, I stopped by there on my way home.  I was nervous.  I mean, who in their right mind stops by a business to meet the owner and tell her you've been praying over her building for several years!?!?  It sounds a little wacky!!  Now you see why it was (is) out of my comfort zone.  What I was doing was risking vulnerability.  I was putting myself out there to really be seen as "out there".  Those of you who know me (and those who read me regularly) may be asking yourselves 'what is so odd about that?  you are out there.'  And, you are right.  I don't always do things the way others do. 

I pulled into the driveway and pulled around back.  Gulp!  There were quite a few cars back there.  Of course, that is excellent for business, but one doesn't want too many witnesses to one's confession of praying for the building and the business. ☺

I walk around front and enter the business.  I am greeted by two young bright and cheerful voices and faces at the welcome counter.  The front room looks and smells amazing! (Aveda products). 

In my ignorance, I asked if "Chloë" was working today.  They said she wasn't and then explained that the shopped was named for a grandmother.  They explained that the owner was busy with customers.  I mentioned something about just stopping by wanting to share something with her about the building and that I knew a customer of hers.  Maybe sensing something special OR deciding they needed help in the front room, one of the girls offered to go check in the back for the owner.

A few moments later the owner came out.  I introduced myself, noting that the name didn't mean anything.  I mentioned my friend who had mentioned she was a client.  Then I told her I had been praying for this building for over two years.  I told her that I had been praying that God would use it and bless it.  I shared with her that once I learned it was going to be her business, that I continued to pray for it and her business.  And, I do.  I still pray for that house as I drive by.  Maybe not all the time, but it still catches my eye.  Just now I pray for the salon, the owner, and those who enter. 

It was weird doing this today.  But, for me, it was something I needed to do, something I wanted to do.  I wanted to let her know that she and her business had been prayed for. 

I felt vulnerable.  And, a little sad as I walked out the door and got back in my car.  Yet, at the same time, I know that all things work together for good.

Risking vulnerability isn't easy.  Ever.  It means putting ourselves out there. 

Today was worth it for me.  I hope the owner didn't think I was too crazy.  It's okay, though, if she did.

If you're local, and you're looking for a salon, check it out: Chloë Hair Colour & Design.  It's on 5922 Hixson Pike, Suite 112.  Their phone number is 423-842-0556.  Mindy Kelly is the owner and certified color educator.

Check out their Facebook page by clicking here.

Here's a quote by Brené Brown I saw recently on the SoulCare Project Facebook page:

"Our willingness to own and engage with our vulnerability determines the depth of our courage and the clarity of our purpose; the level to which we protect ourselves from being vulnerable is a measure of our fear and disconnection. When we spend our lives waiting until we’re perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make." -Brené Brown, author of Daring Greatly


Take a few moments and read over the quote.  Chew on it for a while.

I liked the quote so much that I ordered the book to see what else Brené had to say in that book.  I'll let you know when I get the chance to read it. 

I engaged in my own vulnerability today.  It wasn't anything huge; but it was something.  I walked into an arena, a very nice smelling one.  I don't know what, if anything was accomplished.  Or, if there was anything meant to be accomplished.  What I do know is that I followed through on something I knew I was called to do.

What in your journey would allow you to risk and engage in your own vulnerability?

Blessings on your journey!

Debra

Past blog posts about the brick house:

Letting Go... (August 27, 2013)Questioning the Direction, or Lack Thereof... (February 28, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment