Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hang gliding, part III--- more video... stalls and landing

I have a HUGE mid-term coming up on October 18 for which I am still reading.  I also need to study and review.  Additionally, I have a sermon outline for my other class that I began and need to finish.

In the midst of this need to read and study, I am attempting to weave in some moments to edit the video taken from the cameras on my flight so I can (1) see them myself and (2) post them. 

When I think of being up in the sky on Thursday, I grin ear to ear.  It was definitely a highlight experience in my life.  Not just the in-the-sky part, but the entire experience.  I got to meet hang gliders (Robin who moved from Butte, Montana; Rick, Dan-- I primarily talked with Robin and Dan) and hear their stories (a little bit), watch a couple of them fly and even fly up in the air with them. 

As I reflect upon my experience, I continue to find God connection points with my experience and my spiritual journey, any spiritual journey.

The clip here includes both the wing camera angle and the face camera angle.  You will see some flight time, some stalls and descents we did during the flight, and our landing. 

(9:42)

 
 

The journey isn't always smooth.  There will be times of stalls and descents.  On our flight we had some light turbulence.  That too is part of the journey.  No matter how high or how long you are able to soar, you will land at some point.  That is part of the flight.

For me, it was a slight let down, though it was a beautifully smooth landing.  It took some time to regain my land legs.  I wasn't used to being on the ground again at first. 

On the journey of life and the spiritual journey, we will have soaring moments spiritually.  Yet, there will be necessarily a time that we will need to land, to put our feet back on the ground.  Being on solid ground again doesn't take away the incredible scenery from the air or the experiences in the air; it just means that it's time to take the experience onward, forward.

Like coming home from an Emmaus weekend or back from an Academy week or any retreat or conference in which you have focused so much on your surroundings, God, and/or the experience of it all... there comes that time to put things back into perspective and incorporate them into the daily life in a way that moves one onward, forward, deeper.

That is where I am now.  What are my next steps?

How do I take this life-changing flight experience and incorporate it into my daily living?

How do I take any life-changing experience and incorporate it into my daily living?

Part of what I do is to share what I've learned and experienced with others so that it remains fresh in my mind and so others might find something in it to connect with along their journey.

On my journey, I continue to remain in awe of the Creator's handiwork.  The more I am in it--whether hiking, walking, tubing, floating, kayaking, on two wheels, soaring, or whatever it may be-- the more I grow closer to my Creator because the Creator has created a wonderful and beautiful place for us to live, to care for, to enjoy, to reflect upon the Creator's nature and being.

I cannot help but go to the Psalms in which there are many passages about nature, creation, singing praises to God when I start reflecting on God as Creator. 

Wherever you are on your journey, may you take some time/make some time to enjoy the Creator's handiwork. 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra




No comments:

Post a Comment