Monday, October 28, 2013

Circle of friends... a candle holder, a song, a life-long experience

This morning didn't turn out to be such a "normal" Monday morning.  On my way to meet my walking partner, my husband called and asked about his calendar he had left in the car with important work-related numbers in it.  The time was such that I couldn't turn around and go home.  He said he'd come get the calendar.

When I got to the designated walking area, my friend texted that she was running a little late.  Oops, I did have time to go back.  Oh, well.

My friend arrived and we walked along the path.  There were faint hints of leaves changing color, mostly reds.  The yellows were mild, if at all.  We're having a very late change in colors here in our area this year.

We walked a mile and a quarter this morning and got back to the cars.  I was heading to facilitate a Bible Study class downtown.  Oops.  My friend's keys were in the car.  We called her son from my phone and left a message. 

I had time to take her home before heading downtown.  Her son would bring her back to get the car.  Whew!  What a day already!

My husband had not come to get the calendar.  It turns out he had remembered the numbers he needed.

I arrived to the church in time to set up the chairs in our traditional circle.  I knew there might be one or two ladies out today, but I figured there would be at least 3 or four of us.

In the end, I guess there were "three or four of us": me, Jesus, Holy Spirit, God.

I was able to spend time in prayer for the ladies that normally come to the Bible Study and spend some extra time in 1 John 5, today's focus. 

As I looked at the table with the lit candle, the Bible, and the chairs awaiting people to come, I wondered who would come join this circle of friends.  It wasn't until later when the others weren't able to make it that I realized that the time and space were for my contemplation and reflection today.



It was okay. It was good for me to be there.  I needed some quiet time to focus on them in prayer and to focus in and on the Word.

As I contemplate the concept of "circle of friends", I know that I am blessed by a much larger circle than the candle in these pictures represent.  Honestly, it feels more like one of those older "coke (coca cola)" commercials where folks join hands around the world to sing.

[So, I searched for the coke commercial and didn't find folks joining hands, but I did find this from 1971.  I may have another commercial in my head, but this fits too, with my world travels and mission trips and friends around the world.  Yes, I'm shamelessly plugging "coke".  My favorite cola brand. ☺]



I have been blessed and continue to be blessed by so many friends in this life.  Thank you.  Thank you for touching my life, for being a part of my life, for joining in whatever stage of the journey... Your life has blessed mine. 

I found this song by Point of Grace about "Circle of Friends".  Check out the lyrics and watch and listen to the song.


LYRICS:

Words & music by Douglas Mckelvey & Steve Siler

We were made to love and be loved
But the price this world demands will cost you far too much
I spent so many years just trying to fit in
Now I've found a place in this circle of friends
In a circle of friends we have one father
In a circle of friends we share this prayer
That every orphaned soul will know
And all will enter in
To the shelter of this circle of friends
If you weep, I will weep with you
If you sing for joy the rest of us will lift our voices too
But no matter what you feel inside there's no need to pretend
That's the way it is in this circle of friends
In a circle of friends
We have one father
In a circle of friends we share this prayer
That we'll gather together no matter how the highway bends
I will not lose this circle of friends
Among the nations, tribes and tongues we have sisters and brothers
And when we meet in heaven we will recognize each other
With joy so deep and love so sweet
Oh we'll celebrate these friends
And a life that never ends
In a prayer
That will not be long before
All will enter in
To the shelter of this circle of friends
That it will not be long before
All will enter in
To the shelter of this circle of friends

I hope and pray that you too are blessed by a wonderful circle of friends!  It is good to have the time to stop and be reminded of how blessed we are by those friends, even through unexpected circumstances.

Blessings as you continue the journey! 

Debra

2 comments: