Thursday, October 31, 2013

Warning..... Dangerous Waters


Yesterday my husband and I were walking the Riverwalk path.

In Chattanooga we are blessed to have a walking path that goes along the river.  It hasn't always been here.  It has grown in sections, much like the awesome Cumberland Hiking trail is growing these days.

Walkers, runners, and cyclists share the path along the river and through the scenery.

In addition to the scenery yesterday, the sign near the dam (at the top of the blog post) caught my attention anew. 

I've seen it before.

But yesterday, I knew I wanted to get a picture.

It clicked something in my brain as I looked at it. 

It occurred to me that this is the sign we might start using when we baptize folks.  If we don't have it over the baptismal area (whether that is a fountain, a tub, a river, a lake, a pool, etc.), we should at least start being honest with folks and talking about it.

The waters of baptism are dangerous. 

What?!?!  How?!?!

You see, baptism is an act of grace, bestowed (given) to us by God.  That act of grace unleashes freedom in our lives.  We are free to grow in our faith relationship with God and others.  And, it's dangerous. 

Once baptized, the "waters" of life don't automatically become smooth nor does everything work out according to our plans.  However, we are brought into a relationship that will truly work in us and through us the rest of our lives, if we are willing to learn and grow.

This isn't fleshed out in entirety.

This isn't based on a review of all the readings I've done on baptism, grace, or the Scriptures.

This is simply something that struck me yesterday.

I may flesh it out more one day.  It might even become a sermon one day.  Or, when I become ordained, you might see the picture next to whatever becomes the baptismal fount wherever I serve.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these few thoughts now.

I don't know what your thoughts or experiences are (or have been) with your faith journey, but for me, it continues to be an adventurous one.  And, yes, at times, it is (can be) dangerous.  

Danger can come from the outside world (situations beyond my control) or danger can come from my not paying attention to the relationships with God and others that are within my control. 

Dangerous times allow for vigilance, growth, learning and change.  They are reminders that I'm not in control.  Above all, I am reminded that God's grace is the sustaining factor in my life, regardless of the circumstances.

May the grace of God carry you through the dangerous waters.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment