Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Letting go....


Letting go comes in many ways, at many times, of many things.

Today, I am letting go of part of a dream that has been calling out to me for several years.  I'm letting go of it--even though it was never mine.

I knew I might need to let go of this part of the dream when the house had been taken off the market again; but since there wasn't any activity in the house or yard, I didn't give up hope.

Let me back up.

There was this house.  A brick house.  Situated on a prominent road (Hixson Pike) in my area.  It seemed to called out my name every time I drove by it for the past several years.  Great house (from the pictures) and a great location.  For my thoughts involving Hispanic ministry, there are Hispanics in the backyard.  I saw this place as a place for learning, worship, ministry, activity.  Ecumenical.  A safe place for people to go and grow. 

There were others who saw this place as a possibility for ministry too. 

I didn't have the money for this place.  So, it was simply a dream.  I did write the owner a letter sharing my dream last fall.  I do weird things like that.

Today I learned that this house is going to be a beauty salon.  That's cool!  That's what it was at one time before.  That is someone else's dream coming to reality.  That is awesome.

Though this house won't be the place for ministry like I've thought about, this house has been prayed for consistently over the past several years and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that ministry will happen within it.

Letting go is a constant part of life.  We need to let go of the things that aren't ours to carry, that are no longer ours to carry, etc.

Sometimes we don't know that we're holding on to things.  Linda Douty wrote a book on that: How Can I Let Go If I Don't Know I'm Holding On?: Setting Our Souls Free (Morehouse Publishing: 2005).  Though I got this book in 2010, I've not read it yet.   Well, I started it.  I read chapter 1. 

Because "letting go" is such a part of life (at least that's my experience), I hope to gain some understanding from Douty's book on the things I may be holding onto unbeknownst to me on the conscious level.

I knew I was holding on to the house.  Now I will let it go.

But I'm not letting go of the dream and vision for ministry.  I don't think that's something to let go of yet.  It may not be time for it yet, but that's okay.  Some things take time.  Time for prayer, bringing others along with similar visions, etc.  Who knows?!!?  Maybe I'm just supposed to support others in their dreams and visions on these things for now. 

My focus at this time is to finish my coursework, unless and until that door closes.  Additionally, there is the focus of family and life. 

So, good-bye ultra totally cool brick house!  May you do well in your new adventures with your owner and may you be a place of peace to all who enter!

There may not be anything in your life, your journey at the moment that needs to be let go.  But, then again, there might be.  Something to consider. 

Letting go brings freedom and space for the things that are supposed to be.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

1 comment: