Friday, August 2, 2013

Quotes reflecting on "journey"...

"Journey" is one of those themes that is foundational in my life.  Maybe the title of my blog is a clue to that. ☺ 

I have come to see life as a journey.  It's a metaphor that works for me.

This week I have had a couple of "journey" quotes cross my path.

One is on a church sign that I pass constantly on Middle Valley Road.  I decided to stop and get a picture the other day. 



You can likely read what the quote says in the picture, but I'll quote it here:   "God knows the journey you need to take before you do."

There are several parts of that quote that strike me.  First, God knows.  I may not know (in fact, the quote goes on to say that God knows before I do).  It isn't the journey that I'm taking that God knows (though I'm sure God is very aware of that too), but rather the journey I need to take.  I guess that's what slows me down to stop and chew (reflect) for a little bit.  Things I thought I needed or think I need aren't always on target.  There may be times when they match up with what I truly need.  Yet, I don't know what I need most or best to work through the rough edges in my life, to burn off the dross, to heal the wounds.  God does.   To live into the journey, therefore, when I don't fully understand where it seems to be going is a matter of faith and trust in the One who knows me better than I know myself. 

A second quote that came across my path concerning "journey" is a quote by Gordon Cosby that was posted on the Shalem Institute FaceBook page:

"The one journey that ultimately matters is the journey into the place of stillness deep within one's self. To reach that place is to be at home; to fail to reach it is to be forever restless."

That's a deep quote, a powerful quote.  It resonates within my soul.  Gordon Cosby was founder of Church of the Savior in Washington, DC.  A book I read earlier this year, Journey Inward, Journey Outward, by Elizabeth O'Connell tells the story of this church and their ministries. 

Another quote that came across my path from Terry Hershey's FaceBook page deals with the journey, though it doesn't include "journey" in it:

"I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being." -Hafiz of Shiraz

Powerful.  Insightful.  For me, this shines the revealing light of the Creator even when we are unable to see due to whatever shadows our vision at the time.

One more quote.  This came from Centerquest,
an Ecumenical Hub for the Study and Practice of Christian Spirituality:

"Awaken your spirit to adventure
Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm
For your soul senses the world that awaits you."

John O' Donohue ("For A New Beginning")


adventure... hold nothing back...risk.... new rhythm....soul senses.... LOTS of things that speak to me here!

I have a John O'Donohue book on my shelf: Eternal Echoes: Exploring Our Yearning to Belong.  One of these days I will get around to reading it! 

His quotes have captured my attention before (thus the book on my shelf). 

Quotes about journey, adventure, living into what God knows I need, risk, being home in a new rhythm......

Lots to think about..... ☺

What about you?!?!  Do any of these words or phrases from any of these quotes resonate with you?

Blessings on your journey!

Debra



No comments:

Post a Comment