Sunday, August 11, 2013

Jesus, was that you?

This past week I was driving down the road, heading to meet some friends for a Greek lunch.  As I was driving down the road, I started to experience something very surreal.  As I passed people on the side of the road, I took in their faces and appearances very clearly and a question came into my mind: "Jesus, is/was that you?"

First there was the elderly couple at the bus stop near the apartments.  I noticed that they were looking through their bags for something as they waited for the bus.  "Jesus, was that you?"

Then, there was the young 20 something woman walking up the street.  Headed to a job?  Headed to the bus stop?  She seemed fairly carefree. "Jesus, was that you?"

Another couple walking up the road, along the sidewalk.  The woman was in front; the man behind.  Both of them had very tan skin and seemed to have been outdoors quite a bit.  They also seemed to possibly be homeless or underprivileged when it comes to housing.  That's just a guess.  An educated guess from my time with a community whom I respect and love.  "Jesus, was that you?"

When I neared my lunch destination, there was no parking, so I needed to go around the block to find a spot.  My mind was thinking about the people I had seen on the road and also considering some of the drivers along the way.  The question of the day would not leave me alone, "Jesus, was that you?"

I found a spot, parked my car, fed the meter, and started walking to the restaurant at a fast clip.  I was running late.  As I crossed the road, I looked to the right.  There was a crowd gathered at the bus stop.  Some of the faces I recognized from the times I've served food in the park.  One face looked like Mary.  Mary has been in the paper and has been doing better.  That question again: "Jesus, is that you?"

As I turn left onto the next crosswalk and get back onto the sidewalk, a young man approaches me and asks if I have any change for the meter.  I told him I happened to have a dime left from feeding my own meter and I gave it to him.  "Jesus, was that you?"

I kept walking and smiled as I saw business men walking across the street and other folks at the next bus stops.  All around me were people that caused me ask: "Jesus, is this you?"

I know the answer, even as I ask it.  'YES.  Each person you saw... it was me.'

I don't know why this question was so prevalent in my mind on this day this past week.  I do know, however, that it helped me to see all people and all conversations as very important encounters.  Not only that, but also it helped me see each person as an opportunity to learn more about Christ's love.  You see, if each of those persons I saw was a representative of Christ, then I have something to learn from each of them.  They offer me a view of Christ.

Even during the lunch time, I can guarantee you that Jesus was present in those moments of eating and conversation.  I knew Christ's loving presence and healing and teaching and acceptance.

I hope I can continue to have this question in the forefront of my mind.  I enjoy these encounters with the people of God's Kingdom, even if some of them don't know they represent it.  I can see Jesus in them. 

The next time you pass someone on the streets, you might ask yourself: "Jesus, was that you?"

Blessings on your journey,

Debra 

No comments:

Post a Comment