Friday, August 23, 2013

Be there! (Thoughts and reflections from Jentezen Franklin's message at the Big Event.)

Last night I went to The Big Event at Abba's House on Hixson Pike in Hixson, TN.  I've only been to the bookstore once before and the Spanish service in the building next door.  This was my first time to the big, I mean, BIG auditorium / sanctuary for a service.  I was honestly in a little bit of shell shock and sensory overload as I attempted to take it all in. 

The comfortable, soft blue seats were heavenly!  The screens and banners were great.  Besides the ton of people, I think what really got my attention was the moving camera on the extremely long arm (boon, I think they call that thing)!  That thing must have been as long as my dining and living room combined.  I was mesmerized as I watched that thing move around and people flow in continuously to that space.

The music was good--the electric guitar, the drums, the large choir in their blue robes, the other singers, etc.  There was a mix of some old (a hymn) and some new (written by the guitarist). 

I was there to hear Pastor Jentezen Franklin from Gainesville, GA.  Jentezen preached from Acts 1:4-5.  His message was for folks to stay put, to wait for the presence of the Father, to wait for the wind to blow and the fire to fall.  Remain there.  Wait there.  Be there.  Be available.  Be dependable.
 
yes, I know it's blurry... I was in the back section. ☺

Be there.... for your family, for your friends, for your pastor, for your church, etc.

He shared the example of Simon of Cyrene simply being someone in the crowd, waiting to see Jesus.  We don't know about this guy's history, his strengths, his gifts, etc.  We know he was there.  And, when Jesus stumbled while carrying the cross, Simon was called upon to carry it.  He was there.  He was called upon for service.  He was able to help carry the load because he was there.

A quote from Jentezen: "If you'll just be there, the wind is going to blow; the fire is going to fall."

That resonates with me.  I want the wind to blow and the fire to fall.  I'm good with wind and fire.  I remember giving a talk on a Chrysalis weekend walk once and hearing the wind blow through the trees outside the chapel as I was giving it.  It wasn't just a physical wind.  It was a might spirit (ruach) wind.  At least that's how it felt to me at that time.

It's not always easy to "be there".  There are often sacrifices of time and energy that need to be made in order for that to happen.  But, it's worth it.

Jentezen shared a powerful illustration of a system of trees being there for one another by their roots.  I have heard about trees and roots systems some in the past, but parts of this illustration were new to me.

Jentezen spoke of the Redwood Trees and how their roots don't go deep but rather spread out wide.  What keeps them strong is that they intertwine with one another (community!).  He mentioned that the forest ranger pointed out a tree to him that was dead.  It hadn't fallen, however, because it was being held up by the roots of the trees around it.  That's powerful community.  We can hold up even those who are struggling to live-- physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally-- by intertwining our lives with theirs. 

From a website (Redwood National Park) on redwood trees: "The root system of the redwood tree is surprisingly shallow, especially given the great height the mature tree attains. There is no tap root and the other roots may reach no deeper than 6-12 feet. The major roots are about 1 inch in diameter. and they typically spread 50 to 80 feet. One way in which the trees are able to remain upright for millennia is by growing close together with other redwood trees, intermingling root systems. In the picture below a number of redwoods crowd together in a typical grove."


http://www.advocatesfnm.org/oldgrowth/images/lateral_root_diagram.jpg
http://www.123rf.com/photo_15401151_redwood-tree-forest.html

Just like a cord of three strands cannot be easily broken, when we join together with one another, we are stronger.  The strong can hold up the weak, even carry the struggling one(s) until they are able to be healthy again.  Powerful.  (My husband's wedding band is a cord of three strands as a reminder that we are held together in Christ through the Holy Spirit.)

But, we have to "be there".  We can't abandon ship or walk out or leave.  Others can't hold us up if we're not "there" nor can we hold them up if we're not there. 

Relationships, community.  That's what it comes back to.  We are created to be in relationships and in community.  And, when we are "there" in our relationships and communities, we can strengthen one another.  Sometimes folks don't want to be strengthened.  They would prefer to die, for whatever reason.  Yet, we have been given a life to live abundantly.

Here's a warning from me to you.  If you're in a relationship with me, in community with me, I'm going to "be there".  I'm going to hold you up.  Even when you don't want to be held up.  This means that I'm going to irritate you at times because I want you to live the abundant life, especially if from our relationship you've shared that this is want you want too.  What kind of fellow journeyer would I be if at one point you had expressed that you wanted to grow in your journey but now you were spiritually dying and I decided it was easier for me to let you die than to "be there" with and for you?!?!  Now, if you told me that you truly no longer wished to grow spiritually and were content where you were, I'd back off.  I'm not that pushy or "thorny" (as I've been called ☺). 

Just as the Redwood trees need the roots of one another, we need one another in community to stand firm, to stand steady.  Especially during when the storms come and the winds blow.

Do you have folks intertwined with you?

Are you intertwined with others?

Are you willing to "be there" for others? 

Jentezen said that when we are "there", we will have an opportunity to make a difference, to be used in service, to teach, to preach, to reach out, etc. 

The song at the very end of the service spoke of community coming together with and for one another.  That was a neat song. It talked about being there for one another, needing one another, loving one another, standing with one another, etc.  I hope to find the lyrics for that song.

Will you be there?

I'll be there.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment