Thursday, August 22, 2013

Am I a "successful" person or an "unsuccessful" person?

 
This chart came across a friend's timeline on Facebook.  It came from "Interesting Amazing World". It got my attention.  First, it is lime and lemon colored, just like a Sprite drink.  Okay, so that's not really how or why it got my attention.  That's just a goofy observation in an attempt to keep things on a superficial level instead of going deep.
 
In case the picture is difficult to view, here are the characteristics of successful people and unsuccessful people (starting at 12 o'clock and moving clockwise):
 
Successful people:
  • compliment
  • forgive others
  • accept responsibility for their failures
  • keep a journal
  • want others to succeed
  • keep a "to-be" list
  • set goals and develop life plans
  • continuously learn
  • operate from a transformational perspective
  • keep a "to-do/project" list
  • embrace change
  • exude joy
  • share information and data
  • talk about ideas
  • read everyday
  • give other people credit for their victories
  • have a sense of gratitude
 
Unsuccessful people:
  • criticize
  • hold a grudge
  • blame others for their failures
  • say they keep a journal but really don't
  • think they know it all
  • operate from a transactional perspective
  • secretly hope others fail
  • don't know what they want to be
  • never set goals
  • exude anger
  • hoard information and data
  • talk about people
  • fly by the seat of their pants
  • fear change
  • watch TV everyday
  • take all the credit for their victories
  • have a sense of entitlement
 
Take a moment to read over these lists again.  Which list would you say best describes you?  Which list would your best friend/spouse/significant other/relatives/people you meet day to day say best describes you?
 
In the spirit of disclosure and vulnerability, I will acknowledge that there are items on the "unsuccessful" list that describe me at times.  I deal with anger.  I sometimes fear change.  I watch TV.  I criticize.  I don't always know who/what I want to be, other than the person I have been created to be.  Having said this, I think there are more characteristics on the green column, the "successful" list that describe me as I am the majority of the time. 
 
What would those around me say?  Would they agree with my assessment?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But I value their input.  I need their input.  That's part of community and accountability.  In case you are wondering, yes... you have permission (not that you needed it) to speak into my life on this. 
 
How about you?
 
Where do you find yourself?  What are the places of possible growth and change that you see for yourself? 
 
Are you willing to get input from those around you?  It might be transformational if you allow others the permission to speak into your life.
 
May we grow in our daily journey of becoming successful people,
 
Blessings,
 
Debra
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment