Sunday, January 4, 2015

Change? A billboard sign that caught my attention

Before I get back to my reading (yes, I know this is considered procrastination), I want to tell you about a billboard I saw on my drive today.

Between Mt. Dora and Apopka on highway 441, a billboard with the picture of someone in a tuxedo holding a cardboard sign that read, "change?" caught my attention.

I didn't see any claim to who put the billboard there, nor did I stop or turn around for a picture.  I wish I had. 

I did find the folks responsible for the billboard (I think).

It's an organization called "Rethink Homelessness".  It's a FL group.  Their website shows other billboards, but not the one I saw today. 

The website has some statistics on homelessness for Central Florida and other information. 

I realize that most of the people who read this blog don't live in Central Florida.  Wherever you live, though, I guarantee you that there are homeless folks in your community.  By reading the website posted here, maybe you'll learn something that sparks you toward compassion and / or action in your own community.  I don't know.  I just feel led to write about it. 

For those who do live in other communities, you may be interested in reading this article that talks about communities making a difference in homelessness.  It's a paper that shares stories and information from ten different communities in the United States.  It includes creative solutions at the end.  

Rethink Homelessness has a YouTube channel.  Check it out.

Rethink Homelessness FaceBook page.

The billboard caught my attention today.  It stuck with me.  That's why I shared it with you. 

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment