Thursday, January 22, 2015

Donate blood if you are able!

Donating blood is a wonderful way to give to the community.  If you donate, thank you.  If you have considered donating, but haven't, know that in most communities, there is usually a shortage of blood.  Your donation is needed.  If you are not able to donate for whatever reason, spread the word about donating. That is how you can support the cause.

My first donation was with the American Red Cross when I lived on Long Island. I took my youth group.  I watched the little bag fill up with blood.  HUGE mistake.  I got woozy and didn't make it through the full donation. This wimpy youth director came close to passing out.  Lesson learned.  Don't watch the bag (or the needle).

I am O- blood type, a universal donor.  Because of that, I try to give whenever I can.  Once I was on the "O Team", giving 6 times in one year.  There were times I wasn't able to give due to trips out of the country.  Because of my three year bout with anemia, I wasn't able to give again until recently.  I have been able to give the last two cycles. 

Yesterday my husband and I had planned a "donor date".  We have done that once before, last year on Valentine's Day.  He was able to give.  Unfortunately, my hemoglobin was .1 below the required level yesterday for giving.  I can go back and try again and I will. 

In reading yesterday's (January 21) comic strips in the newspaper, I saw where Dagwood gave blood too.  He introduced a new perk to donating blood, one that I hadn't considered.  Now, don't get me wrong.  One doesn't donate for the perks-- the T-shirt, the little Debbie snack cakes, the raffles, or even the health benefits.  Perks are there.  Dagwood introduced the perk of a prescribed nap at the office after giving blood.  If you follow Dagwood, he doesn't need an excuse or a prescription, but he got the boss this time. 


In your area, check to see where you can donate.  Whether there is a Blood Assurance or the American Red Cross, give them a call, set up an appointment, or walk in.




I have friends whose lives have been blessed by blood banks and who are grateful to donors.  I have friends who work at blood banks.  I know it makes a difference.

On this journey of life, giving blood for me is a way of giving back, of meeting a need in community. 

What about you?  What is one way you can give back into the community today?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

A few articles on the benefit of donating blood:

Life hack article 5 Health Benefits
Livestrong.com article
OneBlood--Health Benefits of Donating Blood


No comments:

Post a Comment