Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Nature deficit disorder... a new term for me

I learned a new term from my walking partner during my morning walk today at the Greenway farms.  The term?  Nature deficit disorder.  It was appropriate that we were out walking in nature as I learned about this term and the lecture she attended last night at the Baylor School in Chattanooga. 

It was interesting to hear about the term, the research, etc. that she shared.  She began by saying that the lecture was right up my alley.  Yes, it was.  Drats.  I wish I had known about it.  I would have enjoyed being there.  However, thanks to technology, I have been able to find out about yesterday's lecture, the term, and find several links discussing nature deficit disorder.

First, a definition of nature deficit disorder, a term that was coined by Richard Louv in 2005.  From Macmillan Dictionary, the term means "the tendency for children to spend less time outdoors than they did in previous generations, and the way this influences them as they grow up."

I am glad to learn about this.  I wonder how craving the outdoors fits in with this, though.  From personal experience, I get anxious if I do not get enough outdoors time.  One recent example.  Last week during my intensive week of seminary class, we were to have a short day on Wednesday.  Since it was going to be a gorgeous Florida day, I made plans to hike at a nearby wilderness area after class and prior to a board meeting over the phone.  During class Wednesday morning our professor gave us an assignment to do over lunch in groups for an hour and a half.  Though that was going to cut into my hiking time, I was glad to meet with classmates and do this.  However, as the time neared the cutoff time and my classmates were content to keep discussing our questions, I found myself ready to go.  I wanted to "hit the woods", so to speak.  Though I was surrounded by latino music and food and having great conversation and fellowship, I needed to get out of there.   The need to be outdoors is likely some other category, but there are times when it hits me like that.  When I am outdoors in God's creation, I find that my mind, body, and soul slow down.  They rest.  They become soothed.  It helps if there is water to watch or see, but there doesn't have to be water. 

I wrote about the physiological benefits of the oxygen once in the water droplets of the waterfalls.  There must be physiological benefits to simply being outdoors in creation. 

From personal experience, there are spiritual benefits.  It is mind, body, and spirit. 

But that's not the focus of the nature deficit disorder.  It focuses on the fact that less and less children spend time outdoors.

There are some articles and research on this. 

Richard Louv's books are a great place to start.   His website is an easy one to remember:
http://richardlouv.com/.  There you will find his books, a blog, and other information.

Though I missed Richard Louv last night here locally, he will be back in the state of Tennessee on April 11 for "Trails and Trilliums" in Monteagle, TN.

The articles I found were on education, psychology, and nature sites.  

Education.com had an environmental page with information on nature deficit disorder with NDD facts in a nutshell (including "no child left inside") and lots of articles.  There was even an article linked that connected the spiritual side and benefits to nature: "A Minister's Guide to the Spiritual Side of Nature".


Other articles/information:

Chattanooga Times Free Press, January 13, 2015.  Report from Richard Louv's lecture at the Baylor School in Chattanooga
 
From Psychology Today: "People in Nature: exploring the natural world's psychological effects on human beings by Richard Louv.  January 28, 2009

Children and Nature Network (check out their documents section for PDF readable files online)

Nature Deficit Disorder: Causes and Consequences.  14 page PDF article from sonoma.edu by David Allred (April 1, 2011)

"Is our Disconnect from Nature a Disorder?"  an article by Michael Todd in Pacific Standard on April 5, 2013

Nature Deficit Disorder:  What You Need to Know.  an article on education.com from May 21, 2014 


You may not be interested in the topic enough to look at some or all of the links.  I provide them for those who may be interested.  There are likely many more articles and websites available, but this is what I found in my short search this morning.

I think back to my childhood days.  I spent tons of time outdoors.  In the front and backyards, riding my bike around the neighborhood, walking, playing in the nearby woods, roaming the woods at my Dad's campground, etc.  Maybe the reason I crave outdoors time now as an adult is because I got so much of it early in life.  It seems we are wired for it.  Since being outdoors in creation is a large part of my spiritual connection, I find all of this interesting on the spiritual level.  

I have more reading to do now.  Richard Louv's books and several of these articles and recommended resources within them.  

The bottom line for me?  Get outdoors.  Help others get outdoors.   It can be a front or backyard, a park, a wilderness area, etc.  What does one do outdoors?  One can walk, run, bike, hike, climb, sit, play, watch, take pictures, listen, etc.  The opportunities and options are open.  Even in cities with lots of concrete.  There are outdoor spaces and more of them being created. 

What are we waiting for?  Let's get outdoors!

May there be some outdoors time along your journey!

Debra


3 comments:

  1. As soon as I read your subject line on my sidebar, I grinned, knowing you would be writing about Richard Louv. I read his book Last Child in the Woods seven or eight years ago: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/yearning-for-good-life.html

    I have always loved trees, as this link shows: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-sparked-your-interest.html

    And I wrote about my favorite trees, from childhood through Hixson Pike (Autumn Brook apartments), here: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-favorite-trees-remembered-on-arbor.html

    Here in St. Louis, I live above a tree, as this post shows: http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2014/06/sunday-salon-moving-takes-time.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! His book will be one of those that I read once I am finished reading all the required ones. :) I liked the description of the trees in Atlanta. :) Ah... trees.... anything climbable is memorable to me... and that includes several magnolia, dogwood, and others. Trees with tire swings and other swings. Trees whose branches are made into instruments that sing into the wind. Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  2. My "tree made into an instrument that sings into the wind" was cedar. It didn't occur to me to connect my cedar flute with a comment about trees. Thanks for pointing it out.

    Yes, you would like (and understand) those "trees" in Atlanta, wouldn't you? I tell people it felt like we were required to read the entire seminary library before graduation. One more link about trees and books; I think you'll like this:

    http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2014/10/books-and-trees.html

    ReplyDelete