Thursday, January 15, 2015

Today has been brought to you by the letter "s"-- spanish, starbucks, and snow -- an interesting day.

I didn't know when I started this morning that it would turn out to be a letter day from Sesame Street.

Today has been brought to you by the letter "s".  Spanish, Starbucks, and snow.  Though some of the other activities begin with other letters, those make for an alliteration example. ☺

My morning exercise routine started off with a walk at Greenway Farms in Hixson, TN.  There was a beautiful patch of water with a thin frozen top.  It was inviting, but not too inviting.  You could easily tell that it wouldn't hold much weight.  It wasn't ready for ice skating, but it was pretty to observe. ☺


Then I was off to the dentist.  Not much to share there, except that it was a good visit and my teeth and gums are healthy.

I had a few minutes to spare prior to taekwondo class.  I decided the best way to fill that time was coffee and reading for my theology class.  Off to Starbucks to use my Christmas gift cards.  While I was reading my book and sipping on my mocha, I heard my second language being spoken.  I looked up.  In the corner were three women speaking Spanish.  I smiled to myself and went back to reading.  I didn't eavesdrop.  Honest.  But it did make me happy to hear the language.  I'm dorky like that.  I got to speak Spanish some last week in Florida.   Hearing it, speaking it, worshiping in it.... it makes me happy.  Well, worshiping in the language can sometimes penetrate my soul at a deep level and bring tears to my eyes too.  But, I digress.

When it was nearing time for me to head over to the taekwondo studio, I thought about saying something to the women.  I knew they would likely think I was a little wacky, but I decided to go ahead and approach them.  In their language, I permission to interrupt and proceeded to explain that I speak the language and that it did my heart good today to hear them speaking.  I also mentioned that I wasn't listening; only that I heard and noticed.  Then I wished them a good day and left.  Who knows what they thought of the gringa who had addressed them and left.

For me, it was a blessing.  You see, before my morning walk I had a conversation with my District Superintendent about being on the Holston Conference Hispanic Ministries Team.  I said "yes".  I am excited about this opportunity.   The 2 year bilingual Academy for Spiritual Formation affirmed me in my calling and my gifts and graces for Hispanic ministry, but there hasn't been much opportunity to get very involved.  There is a good explanation for that-- seminary.  Seminary has rightly been my focus.

After a great workout at taekwondo (my first time back since the holidays), I headed home.

I saw a snowflake come down from the sky.  Then it began to flurry at a faster pace.  It wasn't sticking on much, but it was beautiful to watch.  I went outside twice to hear the swishing sound that snow makes as it falls.  That is also a wonderful thing.  The snowfall has lessened now and this won't be the time that we get our "big" snow here in the state of Tennessee.  I am hoping for at least one big snow this season.  One that allows for sledding, building snowmen, making snow angels, and having snow ball fights.  Snow is wonderful.

What a day this has been.

Now to cap it off with some more theology reading!

What encounters have you had today?

May you be blessed and encouraged along your journey,

Debra ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment