Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hiking at the Big Soddy Creek Gulf in Soddy Daisy

Yesterday we took a family afternoon hike at a nearby location that was new "officially" to us.  My husband and a friend of his had hiked out that way a while back before it became public property when they were misdirected due to lack of arrows on their trail.  Sounds like an adventure!

The property was private until about 6 months ago when the municipality of Soddy Daisy bought it.  I hadn't thought about it at all since I had read about it in the newspaper until a friend posted about it this past week on Facebook and her hiking venture there.  She mentioned the waterfall and posted a link, so I knew I had to get out there.  When I heard today was going to be beautiful and warm-ish (not like Florida had been), we made plans to hike there today.

I wasn't disappointed.  We weren't disappointed.  Because of the cold, we saw icicles coming off the rocks and surrounding the edges of the creek and the waterfall.  We saw the different deep hole swimming areas.

The "trail" itself is a graveled lane road.  The road is Jones Gap Road that goes up the mountain (or used to until the portion became private).  Now that this belongs to the municipality of Soddy Daisy, it is a great public recreational area.

We met a guy coming out as we were going in.  He mentioned that he learned to swim in those swimming holes as a kid.  He also told us about the better icicle formations further ahead at the waterfall.

We saw a couple ahead of us and caught up with them as the guy was taking photographing the waterfall.  He was a serious photographer with his 35mm camera and filters.  He was even sitting on the cold, hard ground.  I used my phone camera and our Canon camera today. 

The site is gorgeous.  There is sand at the swimming hole areas and large rocks upon which to sit or set down one's things.  There was one picnic table at the 1 mile mark near where you can cross the creek to the other side, if the water is down.   There are large rocks placed along the bottom where one could easily drive across too.  It looks like that was done in the past, at one time.

The cabin that was on the property is still there, but I didn't get to check it out.  Just took a picture from the bottom of the road that led up to it.

We skipped rocks.  We looked for heart rocks.  I found one.  The kid found several.

It was good to be outdoors as a family today.  For me, to be out in creation with my family was a breath of fresh air.  

Walking, hearing the water roar, seeing the water tumble, seeing the water move slowly in places.... all of that brought peace to my soul.  It's a place I will go back to again and again.  I will take my flute in the future and play it there too.

Here are some links to check out so you can learn more about the place (Big Soddy Creek Gulf):

Chattanooga Times Free Press article from June 20, 2014 about "The Gulf"
Chattanooga Times Free Press article from July 2, 2014 (mentions class 5 rapids)
An article for the paddlers/kayakers (maps included)
nooga.com article from November 23, 2014 "Big Soddy Creek Gulf open to play"
Chattanooga Times Free Press article from December 24, 2014 that mentions opening the space to automobile traffic once a month for elderly and disabled
Chattanoogan.com article about the kickoff celebration in November 2014.  Includes history information

Video of kayakers from Lower Big Soddy Creek:


Pictures from the outing:























May there be peace, joy, and blessings on your journey!

Debra ☺

2 comments:

  1. Hey Debra,
    I hadn't checked your blog in awhile, but checked again today. I always love your reflections on life and God... I love these hiking photos. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bex. Good to "see" you. Are you writing about your educational adventures on your blog? I need to check. :)

      Delete