Thursday, September 8, 2016

Being open to the unexpected

You know when you think you are doing one thing, but your schedule turns into something totally different?

That has been my afternoon.

I left the office, not 100% sure if I would stop at Siskins for a visit. En route I learned that my guests wouldn't be over tonight, so I decided to go ahead and stop. I signed in not long after someone else had so I got to visit with two people.

I picked up the teenager from band practice and learned that any high school band players were welcome at tonight's middle school game. I said yes, as long as homework got done first. Today's homework was to work on a science project due next week. The project is being done in stages.

While the project was being worked on, I colored. Yes, colored.  I haven't had (made) time to color in a few months now. Last night I received a handful of really cool coloring sheets. So today I took a moment to start the one on top.


I didn't get lots done, but it was a start. Water is one of my chill places, so this was perfect for a little down time. As I finished (had to stop), the lyrics to a song came to mind: 'waves of mercy, waves of grace'.

Stage two complete on the project. Back to the school area. I hung around with the band for a few moments. It made my heart happy to see the middle schoolers warming up along with about ten high schoolers who came out for support.  Truth be known, I am a band geek. One of their songs is also from my era: "We will rock you".

As I left the school premises, I headed to a coffee shop for a half priced drink and to do some sermon tweaking. But on the way, I saw a car with the trunk and hood open and a woman pouring water over the engine.

I stopped. I had no clue what I might do. And I told her so. I told her I don't know music about cars, but was there anything I could do to help? She told me her car had overheated, that she was supposed to get a new thermostat tomorrow, that she had come all the way to work at these apartments, but wasn't needed tonight, and now her car wouldn't start. I ended up jumping her car off with mine. In that process I learned where the latches are on the Ford Escape (first time I have had to open it) and that the battery is covered and slightly difficult to get to.

Important lessons learned.

As I drink my coffee, enjoy the warm breeze, and contemplate this day, there are waves of mercy and grace. I have seen the Creator God's face in many places, situations, and people today.


As the sun is setting on this day, I am grateful for waves of mercy and waves of grace.

Things may not have happened as I expected, yet as I remained open and present, I was able to live into each moment.

May I continue to be open to the moving and the Presence of the Holy Spirit. May it be so with you.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment