Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Coffee, water, and a breeze



Sometimes I just need a moment to reflect, to be reminded that God's got this, whatever "this" is.

Right now I'm taking a moment.

With a freshly brewed cup of coffee, I came outside to enjoy the breezes and the sounds of the waterfall.

Breathe in, breath of God.

Breathe out, everything that is not.

Again.

And again.

Until my lungs and every ounce of my being are filled once again with the inner peace of the Holy Spirit flowing in and through me.

Yes, God's got this.

But I need reminding over and over.

I don't know about you, but I've noticed a theme coming through in my spiritual discipline of writing lately.  It has been a difficult season.  That seems to be an ongoing theme in my journey.  And, that's okay.  I continue to learn and grow through life's opportunities and challenges.

I have lots to learn.  I am a life-long learner, so learning is a great thing for me.

One thing (of many) that I continue to be reminded of is that it's all about God and it's all God's.  What this helps me with is perspective.  Even when things are swirling around me, I'm learning to see God, to be still in the chaos, and to wait for the next visible step.

There are both/and paradoxes all throughout life.  I am learning to keep my hands open, palm upward to what God would have me learn, be, do.  It's not without growing pains.

This week I had wanted to go to a friend's funeral, but I wasn't able to to attend because I knew I had to be up at 4:30am the next day for my husband's surgery.  I would have gotten in late the night before and I needed rest.  That's the second funeral in a year that I have opted out on for the priority of knowing my body needed rest.

Why do I share that?  Because the "me" 10 to 20 years ago would have pushed myself to the bitter end.  I would have tried to be all places, do all things, and I would have crashed eventually.  I still crash at times, but I just can't do what I used to.  I am learning to listen to my body and to God.

As I continue opening myself to Creator and seek to live out the greatest commandments as Jesus noted (Mark 12:30-31), love God and love others as we love ourselves, I find myself stretched, growing, changing.  My heart continues to be opened and broken, the borders of my life expanded, my life transformed.

Lincoln Brewster:  "Love the Lord"



I know we can get easily discouraged if we look around at all the problems in our daily lives, in our communities, in society, in our nation, in our world.  But, I know that I can't let that stop me from living, loving, or leading like Jesus.

I must continue to live a compassionate life, to live from the center of Christ in me.

For me, that requires time apart.  Time to be with God in silence and in solitude.  Time in prayer.  Time in Scripture.  It also means time in community with others who are like-minded.  Time in small groups.  Time in worship.  Time to take Eucharist, Holy Communion.  Time to share the love of God with others.  Time to listen.

I'm grateful for these moments of time apart, now I'm going to spend some time in community.

God is good.  Life is good.

Seeking to live, love, and lead as a follower of the way of Christ.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment