Saturday, September 17, 2016

Find rest in God

I slept in this morning.  Sleeping in means that I didn't get up at 5:30 am to start the day. I got up at 7:45 am.  Truthfully, I would have liked to sleep much longer.  It's the first Saturday I haven't had anything pressing to go to or an all day workshop.  I do have work to do today.  It has been one of those weeks where I haven't been able to get out on paper what needs to get out for tomorrow's sermon on "Our Covenant Oath: Gifts".  We are doing a tag-team sermon series in the GaP Parish on stewardship, based on the 5 points of presence, prayers, gifts, service, and witness.  Today will have time dedicated to getting that sermon out of my heart, mind, and soul and onto paper.... and worked on.  I don't like it being this late in the week, but some weeks it happens.  This is one of those.

The other thing for today? Rest. Physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.  Heart, mind, body, and soul rest.  Fridays are usually my Sabbath day, but I made time for a super opportunity to attend a Partnership 2000 breakfast.  I also spent some time in prayer in one of the sanctuaries as I listened to Francesca Battistelli sing "Holy Spirit".  It was a powerful time of prayer for the people.


It's one of those songs that helps me center, become grounded.  It focuses me.

This morning as I got my coffee, books, and computer to head out to the patio for some quiet time, I noticed my husband had left his devotional booklet open on the table.  Whether he did on purpose or not, I don't know.  But it caught my attention.

The title, "The Survival Float" grabbed my eyes.  As a swimmer and someone who was water safety instructor (WSI) certified, I knew what that was.  Yes, I took those classes for life-guarding, WSI, and to teach swimming.

The line at the bottom of the page said, "God is a safe resting place."  Amen.

The Scripture passage for the day is Psalm 55:4-23 and the focus verse is 55:22 (NIV) -- "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you."

Click here to read today's devotional from Our Daily Bread.

The survival float in the water allows you to rest when you are tired, exhausted, weary.


Today's reading and Scripture is a great reminder to rest.  We aren't to attempt to use our energy to keep working things out.  We are to cast our cares on the Lord and he will sustain/support us.  As we release our problems, situations, cares into the hands of a very capable supporter, we can rest.

The problems, situations, and cares don't go away.  I know that.  But, as the devotion says, "we can pause, relax, and enjoy the knowledge that He is sustaining us."

I pray for hearts, minds, and souls to find rest in God, to truly come to that place where they find peace in the One who created them and can allow the Creator to guide and direct.  I pray that for me.  I pray that for those God is allowing me to shepherd and to walk alongside.

Truly, the best place to be is at rest in the Shepherd's care.

May we all find that place of rest and peace.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment