Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Selling boiled peanuts

Yesterday was one of those days.  Today may end up being another one of them by the end of it.  We'll see.  Every now and then I go to a place where I say that I will sell boiled peanuts.  It has become my "go-to" place when I am frustrated in the box, the red tape, folks not wanting to live kingdom living outward, but focused on inward living.  And it may not be lots of situations, but enough.  Enough to wear down my soul, to cause me to rethink this living, loving, and leading for Jesus thing and trade it in for selling boiled peanuts.

I would get one of those big black kettles or an old trash can to use.  Get those south Georgia peanuts. Set up on the side of the road.  Or go on the road and sell them.  I could have one on one conversations with all kinds of people and talk about their lives, their faith, their hopes, their disappointments, who Jesus is to them, what change they would like to see in their community, etc.

Ah, those are the conversations I can have on a daily basis with the folks in my life now. Yet, that doesn't seem so easy.  Most folks seem to want to protect the borders of the castle.  To talk about hopes, dreams, who Jesus is to them, what change they would like to see in their community has not been easy.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are some folks with whom I am able to have these conversations.  Yet, we all know that there are days and times that present us with challenges.

I know, no one ever promised me it would be easy.  Teaching wasn't easy either.  There was work involved there too.

My point in sharing today is this: yesterday morning before I hit the day, I was blessed with a beautiful view of the sky, of the sun rays bursting through the clouds.  That spoke to me.


This is what I posted, along with the picture: "May the sun rays break through the clouds. May the love, peace joy, hope, and strength of God prevail."

Last night as I pulled into the driveway, I caught a glimpse of a cloud formation that could be taken for a slightly bent and misshapen heart.  My heart is still in tack, albeit bent and misshapen.


There was a quote I saw in the middle of the day from the SoulCare project (from September 11) that nailed it for me.  It resonated with me.

Here is that quote: "Never shy away from opportunity and wholehearted living. Never be fearful of putting yourself out there. The courageous may encounter many disappointments, experience profound disillusionment, gather many wounds; but cherish your scars for they are the proud emblems of a truly phenomenal life. The fearful, cautious, cynical and self-repressed do not live at all. And that is simply no way to be in this world." ―Anthon St. Maarten

The quote reminded me to not shy away, to not be fearful from putting myself out there, to continue being courageous, no matter what.

No, I'm not giving up.  Yes, I do get frustrated when it seems there are obstacles after obstacles to share the love of Christ through the walls of the building into community, when turning outward with love seems like a task rather than part of the mission of following Christ, and when the focus is not on God's kingdom and trusting God to work in and through them.  Thankfully, it's really the Holy Spirit's work to do this stuff.  I am a vessel through which the Holy Spirit works.

Where I see obstacles, I am reminded that they are really opportunities; opportunities to continue to show the love of Christ and to share the mission that Christ gave, and to live, love, and lead as Christ did.

If you do see me on the side of the road one day selling boiled peanuts, stop by for a conversation, even if you don't like boiled peanuts.

Pressing on in the faith.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  In case you're wondering, I recognize that I don't always live, love, or lead like Christ. Thus, there are many obstacles to turn into opportunities daily for me in this adventurous journey.  I'm just trying to live it authentically.

1 comment: