Friday, September 30, 2016

Hammock time on a Friday afternoon


It's Friday afternoon.  Soon I'll be heading over to the high school for some football and some band.  But since I have some time to relax in the hammock before I go, I'm taking that time.  The weather has cooled off some.  It's partly cloudy.  It is fairly quiet. (Well, there are various neighborhood noises... animals, machinery, road noise, the train...)

I have some time to breathe in and breathe out.

There is a quote I read last week by Bishop John Shelby Spong that has been on my mind: "Not everyone will appreciate your efforts. Security is so much more attractive to people than truth. I hope you will love and not judge those who cannot go where you are leading. Seeds planted today may not germinate in your history for years, but no potential seed is ever wasted. So be patient, kind and loving."

When I read that last week it struck me on several levels.  Being a leader is not easy.  Following the model of Jesus, the servant leader is not easy, but my desire is to take up the towel and serve.  Some days are better than others.  When opportunities come to show love, grace, and hope to others, it is a tremendous blessing.  When there are opportunities to walk the difficult paths with others, it is a blessing.  Not easy, but still a blessing. 

I attempt to remain open to the Holy Spirit for the opportunities to live, love, and lead.  I can only trust that any seeds planted through this willing, albeit broken vessel, will germinate and grow.  

This week has been a week of opportunities.  I can only hope and pray that I have shown patience, kindness, and love.

The beauty of servant leadership is that I am a follower too.  I am still learning and growing along the way.  I am being shaped as I follow the Leader.

How are you being challenged in your faith journey?

Peace and blessings on this adventurous journey, 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment