Friday, October 14, 2011

1st Degree L2 Black


I tested this testing cycle for my decided black belt in Tiger Rock Ho-Am TaeKwonDo.  I am pleased to say that I earned the belt and now am a decided black belt, 1st Degree L2. 

I started this journey in January 2008.  As a white belt, I only had hopes and dreams of making it to black belt.  Well, I'd say I had determination too.

I started the program in January and got in enough classes to make the January testing.  Looking back over my testing history, I tested 5 times in 2008.  I was on the move.  I tested 3 times in 2009, only once in 2010, and now twice in 2011.  It has been 8 months since my last testing. 

The reasons for my intervals in testing have been health-related: anemia, low white counts, kidney stones, severely twisted ankles, bilateral frozen shoulders.  My body has been letting me down some in middle age, even though I've learned to listen to it and attempt to take care of it. 

The bilateral frozen shoulders are healing.  Though they aren't 100% healed, they are to the point where I'm dismissed (kicked out) from the doc's office.  I continue to work on stretching and strengthening on my own. 

I no longer spar in TaeKwonDo, but do E-CAS (Elite Counter Agression Skills).  Sparring could still be dangerous to my shoulders and put me in a surgery situation.

This has been a long journey.  There have been many obstacles along the way.  Not only the physical.  My brain sometimes doesn't help me in learning the forms.  I even struggle with remembering which side of my body is to move when.  I almost used a sharpie for this last testing so I would spear hand with the correct hand at the end of my form. ☺

I am grateful for the excellent teaching I have received over these past four years.  I am also grateful for all the encouragement I've gotten from instructors and fellow participants!  This is a journey lived in community.  I'll be starting year number 5 this January.

I tested on Wednesday of testing week, early testing.  I'm glad that the time and day worked out because my husband and daughter were able to attend.  In addition, Master Rick Hall was there.  It was important to me that he see me test (even if he was focused more on the little kids).

Awards night was Thursday night of this week, last week.  My daughter and I went to get our belts and Certificates.  She also tested this cycle, for 2nd Degree L4 Black Belt.  She's been doing it longer than I have!

I was humbled when Master Rick Hall called out my name and there was applause.  Normally we all wait until after the presentation of the belt and the Certificate for that.  Maybe it was because he shared a little bit about how I had persevered to get to this point.   All I know is that it wasn't expected, I was humbled by it, and proud of my accomplishment at the same time.

My journey to black belt isn't over, it has only just begun!  I don't know how far I will get in this journey.  I'm no spring chicken anymore (as the saying goes).  But, I do plan to continue working out, giving it my all, learning new forms, getting better in my forms and E-CAS, and board-breaking skills. 

What is it on your journey that is taking longer than you expected?  Don't give up!  Persevere!  Go forth with determination!  Look to the community around you for support and encouragement! 

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment