Friday, October 28, 2011

"The Way It Is"-- a poem by William Stafford for the journey

I've been introduced to some new poets and poetry this week during our morning curriculum sessions and in yesterday's after lunch session.  I've enjoyed reflecting on these this week.

This morning, we heard "The Way It Is" by William Stafford.  Before I say anything about it, let me just share the poem.  But, first, a little bit about the poet.  William Stafford (1914-1993) was born in Kansas.  He wrote about 22,000 poems in his life time, of which 3,000 have been published.  For more, check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stafford_(poet) and http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/224.

"The Way It Is"
William Stafford

There's a thread you follow.  It goes among
things that change.  But it doesn't change.
People wonder what you're pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can't get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you can do can stop time's unfolding.
You don't ever let go of the thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read it through a couple of times.  What words or phrases stand out for you?  What is the thread for you?  How do you see your life connecting to this poem?

For me, it's a picture of the journey, of the faith journey.  The thread that doesn't change for me is God.  "It goes among things that change."  The journey is an ongoing adventure of change.  People probably wonder what I'm pursuing... I imagine people wonder about quite a bit that I do.  Some may; some may not.  It doesn't really matter.  My concern is to follow the thread.  I try to explain about the thread.  For some others it's hard to see; yet there are those who see it too.  Lots of life stuff has happened and will happen along the pathway of this journey.  I can not stop time from unfolding, but I can hold on to the thread.  I can hold on to the thread through my doubts, through my fears, through my joys, through my pains, through my growth, etc.  It is a word picture of my spiritual formation journey, my adventurous journey of faith.

So, I'll ask again.  What is the thread for you?  How does this poem touch you, connect with you?  What are your thoughts?

Here is a link with the poem and a picture image of a canoe and a body of water.  Maybe it will help to reflect on the poem from this website: http://www.panhala.net/Archive/The_Way_It_Is.html

Following the thread,

~Debra

   

No comments:

Post a Comment