Thursday, October 20, 2011

Change the World.... What's Your Burning Bush?

Change the World.
Mike Slaughter

Alan Hirsch

Rudy Rasmus
I'm at a Mission Conference at Ginghamsburg Church in Tipp City, Ohio.  Tomorrow is the last day of the conference, then we'll head back home.  I'm really glad we made the effort to get here.

I am especially glad my Greek proctor was with me on this trip so I could take my mid-term this week, even though it's a week early, since I'll be out of pocket next week.  I'm not so sure how I did, but I think I passed.

The main speakers for this conference have been Mike Slaughter, Alan Hirsch, and Rudy Rasmus.  They have been powerful speakers.  I heard Mike Slaughter by video when I was at Church of the Resurrection two years ago.  I read The Forgotten Ways by Hirsch several years ago, and I heard Rudy Rasmus at SoulFeast summer 2010.  I knew coming into this conference that it would be powerful and challenging.  I have lots to think about from the main speakers and the break out sessions. 

Becoming more missional and more incarnational.... personally and corporately.... that has been my heart's desire for a while, and that desire has not died out. 

A new way of asking people about their passion has been revealed to me through this conference: 'What's your burning bush?'  I like phrasing it like that. When together your gifts, talents, experiences, and your burning bush, you've got your 'God-package'.  Then you know how and where to put your time, energy, and efforts of serving.

Sometimes we are called to be kindling for other people's burning bushes.  That resonated with me.  I agree.  We encourage others in their passion, whether with words and/or actions.  Sometimes we might even be called to be the gasoline on their burning bush.  Hehe.... ☺  Sorry.  I chuckle here.  One, I love the image of fire and Holy Spirit combining to talk about passion.  Two, I realize that I have been kindling and gasoline for burning bushes.  And, others have been that for the burning bushes in my life as well.  What an analogy! 

So, I ask myself-- at this time in my life, what is my burning bush?  What is my passion?  I continue to be passionate to guide others along their journey, to help them manuever the often difficult and dark paths.  Helping people through those stages into the openings in the forest where they can run with freedom in the green grass is energizing to me.  It brings life to me to bring life to others.  Breaking into conversation in Spanish with the busboy at Cracker Barrel is life-giving to me.  It is a passion for me to speak Spanish.   Seeing pictures of Costa Rica caused tears to come to my eyes at the conference.  I couldn't tell if it was a church to where I had been in the past or not.  It didn't matter.  Costa Rica is very dear to my heart.  Costa Rica is part of my passion.  There are other aspects too.  I'm not fully aware of them all... or I'm not fully willing to verbalize them.  But, I'm attempting to flesh them out.

What is your burning bush?  What is your passion?

Are you serving God in the area of your passion, your burning bush?

If you're not aware of your burning bush, your passion for serving, I hope and pray that you will become aware.... and that you will then take steps to make that desire into a reality. 

Meanwhile, be kindling for other people's burning bushes! 

Light the fire!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment