Sunday, October 16, 2011

What messes with your life?

What messes with your life?  That's the question that is in my mind today. 

Lately, Greek (the language, ancient Greek to be more exact) has really been messing with my life.  It has been a brain drain, day in and day out.  I find myself parsing nouns, adjectives, and articles even when my eyes are closed.  I'm constantly writing down the endings, going over my flashcards and attempting to learn this incredible language.  I'm enjoying this challenge, even though it does take quite a bit out of me mentally.  But that's only on the mental and academic side of life.

What messes with me besides that?  There are life experiences that mess with me.  There are sermons, songs, encounters, devotionals, prayers, things that I'm reading (or have read), etc. that mess with me.  And, I am not meaning to say that "messing with me" is a bad thing.  These things simply cause me to think, or re-think my current ways of thinking and/or living.  These things are causing paradigm shifts in my life.  And, that is messing with me.

Overall, I would say (humbly) that I am someone who loves others, who reaches out to others, who goes to the poor, the lost, the hungry, the hurt, etc. 

However, God challenged me several weeks ago.  How serious am I in my willingness to "go"?  To go from where I am?  To go to where those in need are?  To go beyond who I am?  (Borrowing three bullet points from my pastor Nathan Malone's October 9, 2011 sermon and re-phrasing them here.)  How did God challenge me? 

I went to visit a lady who had recently had surgery.  She lives in a residential area for folks with lower income, I'm guessing.  I'm not going to name the place.  It looked like a normal apartment building on the outside.  In fact, it kinda reminded me of a place my great-aunt lived in Atlanta, only minorly.  I went through the lobby and into the elevator.  When I knocked on her door, she came and opened the door.  I was greeted warmly by her and quite a few crawly creatures on the walls.  In addition, there was something in the air that I couldn't quite describe, but it wasn't fully pleasant.  I was starting to wonder why I had come.  I don't mind bugs.  I see them all the time outdoors and even in Costa Rica (tarantulas, even!).  But, there was something wrong with this picture.  She shouldn't have to live like this.  I was offered a seat at the table and I sat.  All the while that I visited, I felt God messing with me.  I felt God asking how serious I was in visiting the sick, the oppressed, the poor.  When she asked for my phone number, I gave it willingly, yet wondering what God was up to.  I recognized that for all my giving and loving heart, I have a long way to go.  I also had some righteous indignation toward the landlord of that place, and wondered if one apartment was this way, what were the others like?

In today's sermon, my pastor ended with a warning.  He warned us that living as God did with a heart for those on the outside of society will mess up your life, and you will be blessed by it. 

Having been privileged to serve meals for several years through Forrest Ave. UMC and now Mustard Tree Ministries to hungry and homeless people, I would agree.  It will mess up your life.  And, you will be blessed by it.

This is just one example of how God is messing with my life.  There are many others.  A prayer texted to me while driving to my first week of the 2 year Academy... that messed with me.  Not in a bad way, but it messed with me. 

What is messing with you these days?  And, how are you responding?  It's a call and response, in case you aren't aware.  God is calling and it's our opportunity to respond.

I hope and pray that you will live into the ways that God messes with your life and that you will be truly blessed by it!

Blessings on the journey!

~Debra

PS-- Here are the lyrics to a song that I've heard several times that echo my desire to live and serve as Christ did.  When I struggle with experiences as I described above, the words to this song remind me that I do want to love and give as Christ did.

Chris Sligh "Only You Can Save"

I saw a man today, his whole world across his back
A living monument opposed to my success
I tried to look into his eyes as he shuffled past my car
Sweat beading on his skin, his clothes and hair a mess

As the light turned green and I pulled away
He slowly disappeared
Just a memory of another chance
I failed to show Your love here

I wanna love because You loved
I wanna give because You gave
I wanna reach my hand out to the lost
'Cause I know Your hand will save

Only You can save
Only You can save

Have to wonder if I really want to know
The struggle and the pain that others feel
Do I want to hear the stories I see echoed in their eyes?
Or is this love I say that I'm reflecting even real?

As the light turns on inside my head
And I slowly disappear
I steel myself 'cause what You call for me
Is to show Your love here

I wanna love because You loved
I wanna give because You gave
I wanna reach my hand out to the lost
'Cause I know Your hand can save

I wanna love just like You loved
I wanna give just like You gave
I wanna reach your hand
'Cause only You can save

Only You can save
Only You can save

(Save)
Just let me be Your hands
(Only You can save)
Let me be Your eyes
(Only you can save)
Help me understand
(Only you can save)
That I'm Your hands and feet
Hidden behind this frail human disguise

I wanna love because You loved
I wanna give because You gave
I wanna reach my hand out to the lost
'Cause I know Your hand will save

I wanna love just like You loved
I wanna give just like You gave
I wanna reach your hand
'Cause only You can save

Only You can save
Only You can save
Only You can save
Only You can save

Only You can save
Only You can save
Only You can save
Only You can save

No comments:

Post a Comment