Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A mid-day moment to refocus.... some words from Jesus Calling

Do you ever find yourself going along pretty good and then all of a sudden you're spiraling down out of nowhere to nowhere?!?!  If not, that's wonderful for you!!  Today, I had such a moment (and I get them from time to time) as I began to see how much reading I have to catch up on in my John Wesley course and how much reading I need to do in order to earn the extra credit, which I feel I so desperately need.

I started out decent this morning, focused even.  I started on my to-do list (though I still haven't emailed folks about the May retreat) and dealt with a variety of other things that came my way.  I read the sermon for this week's topic and wrote and posted my response to the question of the week. 

I even made homemade chocolate chip cookies for the Wesley Center while doing these things.

But, then, all of a sudden, the overwhelming stress of all these pages that I need to read hit me, along with some arrows hitting me in other areas.

I finally needed to get my cup of Kenya tea and pick up Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.   These are the words that I read:

From April 21: "LET ME CONTROL YOUR MIND.  The mind is the most restless, unruly part of mankind."  [Tell me about it!]  "Open yourself to My radiant Presence, letting My Light permeate your thinking.  When My Spirit is controlling your mind, you are filled with Life and Peace." 

Ah, peace!  That is what my mind, heart, and soul need..... and in order to get it, I need for the Holy Spirit to be in control of my mind.  Whew!  Easier said than done.... at least for me at times. 

From April 22: "LISTEN TO ME CONTINUALLY."  "Walk with Me in holy trust, responding to My initiatives rather than trying to make things fit your plans." "When your mind spins with a multitude of thoughts, you cannot hear My voice."

From today, April 23: "KEEP YOUR EYES ON ME, not only for direction but also for empowerment.  I never lead you to do something without equipping you for the task."

In the midst of my re-focusing time, I got a call from my stepson.  That caused me to lose focus for a mintue or two (or 15), but we did have a good conversation about housing and possibilities.  So, it wasn't too bad of an interruption. ☺

Now that there is peace restored into my spirit, it is time to read sermons and books for class.

How do you handle those moments of crazy stress?  Are you able to find peace in the storm and refocus your mind on the Divine Creator? 

Being able to decipher through those multitude of thoughts in order to hear the One Voice of Truth is not necessarily easy, but it is worth the work of trust!

Blessings on wherever you are on the journey!  May there be peace in your heart, mind, and soul!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment