Thursday, April 18, 2013

Expanding the Kingdom

From a discussion yesterday came some thoughts as I was driving along in my rolling sanctuary to visit my grandmother. 

In the Kingdom of God, the Kingdom of believers, too often it is about the boundaries and the borders that separate each of us-- the doctrines, the beliefs, the traditions.  This seems to be because even though we claim loyalty to a larger Kingdom, we hold tightly to the closest piece of property to us that might be known as "denomination" or "non-denomination".  Though all one ultimately, we are divided.  And we spend way too much time, energy, and resources in and on our individual plots than if we were to pool them together for the larger Kingdom.

What if we lived primarily as Kingdom dwellers, people of the Kingdom rather than holding on to our own turf?  What if we shared our resources, talents, time, and energy?  What if we worked together? 

Is this possible?

I think it is.  I realize that many will think I hold an idealistic view of God's people coming together as one.  However, I believe there was someone else who taught that we were to be one and unified as well. 

How can this be done, you ask?  Before I answer, you remind me that we all have too many differences to be able to get along in the Kingdom. 

Ah..... Yes, we have differences.  And, that is a blessing.  That means we are truly the BODY and have different gifts and parts and can share our gifts and talents, etc.  To make the Kingdom expand and unified rather than to be a divided place, it is my belief that we live into the two commandments given by Christ that encompass the Ten Commandments given by God to Moses. 

Simply put: Love God; love others.

But, it's not simple. Loving God and loving others is an ongoing journey of learning, trial and error, grace and mercy, forgiveness, ups and downs, ins and outs.  At least this is my experience. 

And, in case you wonder, yes.... I am one of those that claim turf in the Kingdom.  As I've shared before, I grew up in the Episcopal church and am in the United Methodist church these days (and have been since 1987).  Yet, as I am in this particular denomination, I recognize the importance for all of us to share with one another and to learn from one another. 

I mentioned that I believed this can be done.  Not only do I believe it, I have experienced this unified Kingdom. I have experienced it in various communities where we have come together as one body and have put aside our differences in order to worship together, to learn together, to grow together, to serve together, etc. It can be done.  I think it comes down to whether or not we are willing to do this for the sake of the Kingdom.

I know I'm not alone in recognizing that Kingdom boundaries don't need to be drawn so tightly in the sand (so to speak) that we aren't able to cross them. 

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism was an Anglican his entire life.  Though he founded the Methodist faith, he kept his ties with the Anglican church.  Methodism was originally intended to be a movement anyway.

Jesus Christ is another example for me.  Though Christ taught a new way that radically challenged people, Christ wasn't a Christian, but remained in and of the Jewish faith.  The message he shared was for all people.

What these two examples show me is that if we can rise above our doctrinal differences and focus on the more important aspects of Kingdom living, then maybe, just maybe we can learn to live together as Kingdom dwellers here on earth. 

Maybe then, when folks enter the eternal aspect of the Kingdom, we won't be so shocked or surprised to see "so and so" there.

May all of our pieces of the Kingdom start to expand their borders, maybe even lose their borders, so that we all become a unified Kingdom.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment