Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Blessings of this day.... seeing someone unexpectedly and enjoying music

Today I went to NHC Healthcare in Rossville, GA to join with Gail, Doris, and Bobby as they shared their gift of music with the residents there.  

I recently learned that they go every 2nd Tuesday at 11am to share their gift of music.  They play their guitars and sing gospel and country songs.  When I learned that they go regularly, I told Gail I would put it on my calendar and meet them there.  Gail told me then I would have to sing and I said I would.  She held me to my promise today.

To my knowledge, there is only one resident in the three churches of the Holston GaP Parish at NHC.  I planned to visit her while I was there and was able to after the singing/music time finished.

Much to my surprise, a lady whom I recognized came in pushing her walker about midway into the singing and the playing.  It took me a moment to place her because I haven't seen her in over a year.  She was someone I visited regularly when I was at a previous church before I took this appointment as pastor.  I thought I recognized her, but I asked an employee to be sure.  It was her.  I took some time to talk with her, tell her my name, remind her how I knew her, how I used to visit her, and even that I visited her once on my motorcycle.  I gave her a business card to refer to later, just in case.  As I think back on the visits I had with her in her home, I am reminded that she has a birthday coming up fairly soon.

Seeing her 'all the way' in Rossville when I used to visit her in the Soddy Daisy area caught me off guard a little bit today.  But, it was a blessing. 

It was an added blessing to the music that was played and sung today.  Watching the residents clap their hands, tap their toes, and sing along with some of the songs was a blessing.  Getting to join in on a few of the songs was a blessing too. 

Roaming around the room talking with some of the residents and just being with them for that time period.... that was a blessing. 

Thank you God for the blessings of this day!

What blessings have you experienced in your journey today?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment