Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Compassion, love, and hearts

One day a few weeks back, I happened to notice a tiny spot on my right leg that resembles a heart. It isn't perfectly shaped, but enough so to catch my attention.


#seeaheartshareaheart

It is a physical reminder to me to love myself.

Love God and love others are the two greatest commandments and ones I share often and attempt to live into.  The 'love others' includes 'as you love yourself'.  We are to love ourselves before we can love others.

We are to take care of ourselves before we attempt to take care of others. This isn’t selfish; it is prudent and crucial.

If you have flown, you have heard that you are to put on your own oxygen mask first before you attempt to help the young or elderly with you. Why? If you can't breathe, you are of no help to others.

Throughout seminary and the 2 year Academy I was reminded to take care of me, to take time for soul care and self care. I thought I had it it covered, but real life situations challenge my time management and my intentionality.  I do okay. But I can do better. I want to do better. Because it isn't just for me. It is for the sake of others.

If I don't offer myself time apart, love, compassion, rest, etc., then how can I offer it to others and lead others there?

This week I am on retreat in Houston,  Texas with the Fellowship of United Methodist Spiritual Directors and Retreat Leaders. Frank Rogers is the speaker and he is sharing about the radical way of compassion.
We are going back to the roots of loving God, loving self, and loving others.

Taking this time apart for what I thought was just part of my commitment to the board is refreshing and refilling my soul.

This morning's devotion included these quotes:

"In Asian languages, the word for 'mind' and the word for 'heart' are same. So if you're not hearing mindfulness in some deep way as heartfulness, you're not really understanding it. Compassion and kindness toward oneself are intrinsically woven into it. You could think of mindfulness as wise and affectionate attention." Jon Kabat-Zinn

"If your compassion does not include yourself,  it is incomplete." Jack Kornfield

How are you taking time to love yourself, to show yourself compassion? Are you taking some time to listen to the One Voice who calls you 'beloved'?

Practicing compassion for ourselves will lead to practicing it for others. We will be better equipped to love others fully when we make time to take care of ourselves.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra



No comments:

Post a Comment